Thermometer - What is happening???

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
garwatts

Thermometer - What is happening???

Post by garwatts » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Strange phenomena...
Whilst brewing yesterday I filled the sample jar with warm wort, took the OG, put in my thermometer at the same time to make the necessary adjustments. As I slowly removed the thermometer from the trial jar the temperature increased from about 35C to nearly 45C? How can that be?

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Thermometer - What is happening???

Post by Bobba » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Digital thermometer with water in the probe?
Stick it in a COOL (i melted mine) oven to dry it out

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Bobba wrote:Digital thermometer with water in the probe?
Stick it in a COOL (i melted mine) oven to dry it out
Yep been there, done that :wink: But yesterday I was using my bog standard mercury glass thermometer :?

Graham

Post by Graham » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:13 pm

garwatts wrote:Strange phenomena...
Whilst brewing yesterday I filled the sample jar with warm wort, took the OG, put in my thermometer at the same time to make the necessary adjustments. As I slowly removed the thermometer from the trial jar the temperature increased from about 35C to nearly 45C? How can that be?
Probably because glass thermometers are calibrated for a particular immersion depth, usually 76mm, and because like air, hot water rises and it will be much hotter at the top than at the bottom of your sample jar. Stir it thoroughly before taking the temperature measurement, but not with the thermometer.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Graham wrote:
garwatts wrote:Strange phenomena...
Probably because glass thermometers are calibrated for a particular immersion depth, usually 76mm, and because like air, hot water rises and it will be much hotter at the top than at the bottom of your sample jar. Stir it thoroughly before taking the temperature measurement, but not with the thermometer.
Thanks - will try that Graham - it makes sense but I have never noticed it before :? Also it's quite a temeprature drop fro 45 to 35??