How much priming sugar for a cask?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
yashicamat
Under the Table

How much priming sugar for a cask?

Post by yashicamat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Normally priming isn't an issue with either a pressure barrel or a corny as both have safety valves should the pressure get a bit high. A cask doesn't have this feature (unless you count the keystone shooting out, but it's a bit messy as a "solution"). I normally prime at a rate of about 40g sugar for 5 gallons . . . does this sound about right? It does produce some carbonation in a bottled beer at that level. I'm looking to replicate the level of condition found in a well kept gravity dispensed cask. :)

Cheers.
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Subsonic

Re: How much priming sugar for a cask?

Post by Subsonic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Well, I dunno about priming rates but for what its worth I drilled and welded corny posts to my real ale keg and can pressurise it to 20psi easy without the plastic bits shooting out or leaking. Its suprising the pressure that they can hold. Subsonic.

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Subsonic wrote:Well, I dunno about priming rates but for what its worth I drilled and welded corny posts to my real ale keg and can pressurise it to 20psi easy without the plastic bits shooting out or leaking. Its suprising the pressure that they can hold. Subsonic.
This (plastic) cask is only rated to 7 or 9 PSI, plus I don't intend to give it loads of gas anyway. I find that the artificial conditioning from a CO2 cylinder takes something away from the beer, hence going down the cask route. :) Cheers anyway though, I'll probably start off with a little and see how it goes.
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 pm

I switched to a corny post as I couldn't drink a keg fast enough with my breather before it went off :( I tried connecting the breather to the gas line and all sorts before going to the gas posts. With the posts I could actually use it as a 'real ale keg' if need be. But I would have to have a lot of mates round.... Subsonic. Edit - sorry just noticed your keg is plastic and I am talking about a SS one. Its the beer going off that was my problem hence the corny post.