mashtun bottoms

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
likesbeer

mashtun bottoms

Post by likesbeer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Not really a question more of a what do people use and what do you think is the best.
This has probably been done before but I havent noticed it recently sorry if it has.
There seem to be several ways to do a mashtun bottom.i.e.
False bottom, usually from some sort of stainless mesh, or even drilled plastic plates
Copper pipes with holes/slots, some with stainless mesh over small section of pipe
Bucket in a bucket, second one having holes drilled in the bottom.
Grain bags I guess also count.
Obviously there needs to be something to hold the grain back and let the wort out.
Commercial set ups seem to use flase bottoms of stainless mesh or slots I think.

But the question is what do people use/think is the best? (and why?)
or doesnt it matter as long as you have something to seperate the grains etc

Subsonic

Re: mashtun bottoms

Post by Subsonic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 pm

B&Q Stainless steel flexible hose connector. Strip the middle rubber section out and solder 2 coppper connectors on the end to 'plug' into a copper 'T' which is the end of my mash tun outlet and rests vertically on the bottom of the tun. I have a long stainless hose and I just wind it round the bottom of my mash tun then plug the 2 ends in. I do a lot of wheat beers and never have any problems. I was going to use a slotted stainless manifold from the states as I use a Keg mash tun but they were way over my budget. My mesh hose is fab and it goes in the dishwasher after. Inspiration was from the Bazooka and this site of course :D Subsonic.

beer taster
Piss Artist

Post by beer taster » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Home made false bottom for me, made from a 1mm Stainless steel plate with 1.2mm holes on 2.5mm centres with plastic tubing around the circumference of the plate. The false bottom is support by 13 M4x40mm pan head bolts, with a stainless steel handle. Why do I use a false bottom over any other method, I don't know :oops:

mshergold

Post by mshergold » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Don't use melamine plates. Use the flexible plastic plates. I managed to get a pack of four from Tesco in the summer really cheap (somewhere between 50p & £2.00) after wasting about a fiver on melamine plates which usually broke after the 100th hole had been drilled.