Larder fridges

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
gunner

Larder fridges

Post by gunner » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:12 pm

So far i have an unsuccessful hunt for a larder fridge on free cycle/some of the second hand stores in town,so i popped john lewis today to make sure my 10 gallon fermenting bin would fit into some of the models they had.

Most of the models on show had large sections of square plastic housing at the bottom which i assume would obstruct a fermenting bin from fitting in.

Could anybody steer in me in the direction of a suitable make of older larder fridge that will fit a 10 gallon bin in,if this is possible,so if one comes up i know i wont be wasting anyones time.

Cheers Graham.

Scooby

Re: Larder fridges

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Most if not all will have a 'lump' in the bottom, its the compressor. My guess is that you'll need a double height fridge to suit your requirements.

adm

Post by adm » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:56 pm

You'll probably need to modify the bottom a bit so that it's flat - you can build a little frame out of 2" x 2" timber and then use a piece of thick ply to make a level shelf at the bottom.

Whatever you do, don't try and sit a 10G fermenter on the regular glass/plastic shelves supported only by the little plastic pegs they use!!!!

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:07 am

Cheers fella's for your replies.

Double height fridge's are they the ones with a freezer at the bottom,or are they just fridge's.

If they are fridge's, can you use a tall fridge freezer and just use the top part with an ATC 800.

Graham.

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:42 pm

I use a fridge freezer upright with 2 doors. Works a treat. I am setting up with an ATC 800+ next week. Will use that on the freezer bit to set at 2c and that way the fridge should stay on 12. Mine is currently running like this on a plug timer. Freezer bit = 2 cornies 9compressor is at the rear) and lager. Top bit = one 50 litre bitter keg. I think the upright double door fridge freezer is perfect. Subsonic.

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Subsonic,can i use one of these upright 2 door fridge freezer just to control the fermentation temps in the fridge part,with my atc.

Graham.(sorry if i have missed the obvious)

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:44 am

You should be able to. What the bit underneath will register as a temp will be unknown till you try. I want to use my ATC to control the freezer bit thinking that with this running at 2/3c the fridge should be warmer at about 12 and thus ok for my bitter. it currently does this with a plug timer. I think your system will work ok, your freezer bit just won't be as cold as usual. Subsonic

gunner

Post by gunner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:07 am

Cheers sub,i have a 2 door upright i can get my hands on,will give it a go.I was just unsure whether it would work for controlling fermentation temps with a freezer.Plus i will have to collect the fridge and didnt want to end up with it,if it wasn't fit for purpose.

Graham.

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:00 pm

Mine has 1 thermostat that controls the fridge and freezer (and it was in the fridge), which is why I got rid of it in the first place. The fridge would be frozen and the freezer freezing, but if I tried to get the fridge 'cold' the freezer wasn't frozen enough. The ATC will take over everything and run one compartment at the temp you desire. The other compartment will be at some unknown temperature but probably stay at that unknown all the time. Whatever temp it is, it is bound to be useful for something. I would stick the fermentation bin in the fridge bit, then the freezer will be 'colder' and probably useful for keeping beers in. Let us know how you get on as it would be useful and I will post my results too - once my ATC gets delivered - stuck due to strike :( Subsonic