Cornie gas options

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Shoit

Cornie gas options

Post by Shoit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I have been looking into local gas suppliers and am finding it hard to find a local supplier that will re-fill a cylinder. I have found one that will swap the pub type Co2 cylinders. Could anyone confirm what these cylinders are actually like?

Failing the pub gas option, what is the widget world system like. I have read the guide in the equipment section, how accurately can you control the pressure using the gauge? Will it give you a readout of the pressure in the keg? Is the volume of gas suitable for force carbonation or is it a case of priming then using the gas for dispensing pressure only?

Regards

Kevin

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoit

Re: Cornie gas options

Post by Shoit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the information - are these 14lb cylinders listed on this site the pub type cylinder?

Regards

Kevin

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:00 pm

"14lb" is the usual size referred to as 'pub gas cylinder',they are about 30 inches tall. They can be pure CO2 or a CO2/N2 mix, the former is the one usually used, worth noting the regulators differ, stick to CO2.

There are larger cylinders used int he pub trade but much less common.

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Have you found this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=577
There's a map of suppliers. If you can get to Andover, you can have two cylinders for about £32, no deposit.

A gauge from Norm, some fittings from Harmony Hut, and you can be carbonising 6 or even more cornies in parallel, controlled to within a couple of psi.

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Any further opinions on the widget world type cylinders and how much im likely to use for a 2 cornie setup'? Also if i did go for the pub gas option having sourced a local supplier, what is the best and safest way to store the cylinder?

Regards

Kevin

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Right, I have my cornies - still no gas! What would happen if i primed in the normal way and just kept the keg sealed. I wasn't planning on shortening the dip tube - i know i'll get some cloudy beer for the first few pints, is this the worst that could happen??

Kevin

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:57 am

The problem you'll have with this method is that you are unlikely to get the cornie to gain an airtight seal. Cornies are designed to withstand upto 120PSI and whilst they will hold at 5PSI they generally need a blast of 20+PSI to get that initial seal. Pressure from secondary fermentation is unlikely to build fast enough to get that initial seal and you'll have flat beer. Besides, even if it did seal you would likely only get a few pints of beer out of it before the pressure was all gone.

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:50 am

Thanks Parva,

I do have the option of a widget world cylinder - how about if I gased it up initially to get a seal, then left it at that pressure for several weeks? Would the beer over carbonate? I could then keep topping up to get the dispensing pressure? If someone could give me a step by step guide or ideas of how they do it that would be great.

Any advice appreciated.

Kev

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:21 pm

You could do a secondary if you had the widget world setup to give the keg that initial blast to seal the lid, that would be fine. Regarding over-carbonating I would say it's unlikely but in any event this is easily rectified with cornie kegs anyway, that's one of the beauties of them, just release the pressure a few times to reduce carbonation. :)

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks again Parva,

It's good to know that I have that option, however - after lots of ringing round i have found somewhere local to Sheffield that will refill one of Norms CO2 cylinders (a fire extinguisher contractor) on a regular basis. It took some work but perseverance has paid off!

Kev