Hop & Grape Hop Strainer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jonewer

Hop & Grape Hop Strainer

Post by jonewer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone else had problem with the Hop&Grape hop strainer? Used it for the first time last week and it got blocked up abut half-way through the decant. :evil:

Someone on another forum said Its a known issue and I should drill some extra holes in it... looking for a second opinion...?

farmhousekeg

Re: Hop & Grape Hop Strainer

Post by farmhousekeg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 pm

jonewer wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone else had problem with the Hop&Grape hop strainer? Used it for the first time last week and it got blocked up abut half-way through the decant. :evil:

Someone on another forum said Its a known issue and I should drill some extra holes in it... looking for a second opinion...?
Oh YES.........I (and many others) know all about that problem - see my old post and the solution to your nightmare here. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19921

I even E-mailed H&G and told them all about this issue at the time but it seems they take no notice of their customers' feedback for some bizarre reason! [-X I know for a fact that I wasn't the first to mention it to them. Any of you North East boys on JBK able to have a word in their ears???

jonewer

Post by jonewer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:25 pm

You certainly drilled some holes there mate! Did you need to put the thing in a vice to drill the holes? (sorry, I am not much good with DIY)

farmhousekeg

Post by farmhousekeg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:08 pm

I just clamped mine gently in a Black and Decker workmate but another bloke who also posted on the same thread used a vice. Either would be fine. It'd certainly be a bit tricky without some means of holding the pipe. A great tip is to use a hammer to hit the head of a largish nail onto the pipe to make small indentations at the spots where you intend to drill holes. That stops the drill bit skipping all over the shop. Use a 3 or 4mm drill bit.

jonewer

Post by jonewer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Well, just put 40 odd holes in it. Will maybe drill some more tomorrow or over the weekdend. Thanks for the help!