Removing labels from bottlees

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
alexe
Steady Drinker

Re: Removing labels from bottlees

Post by alexe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:29 pm

I have been quite succesfull with a 2 step process. First fill with boiling water - this helps soften the glue (I usually warm up the bottle slowly to prevent any thermal shock). You can generally pull the lable off after a few minutes. I then use white spirits to clean off any remaining glue. Haven't been beaten by a lable yet...

escapizm

Post by escapizm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:37 pm

I concur, you can also fill dishwasher and when cycle finished and cooling commences get in there whilst still hot!

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I allways use wd40 after peeling off the glue comes off soft with a plenty towel and then get the wd40 off with washing up liquid but I much prefer the paper lables and only buy the ones like fullers ( good bottles nice shape shame about the emboss) etc

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 am

Try Ronson or similar lighter fluid. When I worked in a record shop we used to use this for removing stickers, crap from vinyl records and dozens of other uses (including setting fire to fellow staff's trouser turn-ups.)

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 am

I find paint brush cleaner works with most label residues. I'm not sure if I've ever tried one of these bottles, though.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Did anyone try soaking overnight in an ammonia solution? The container needs to be closed to keep in the fumes. This worked very well the one time I tried it when I needed the labels off so I could give the homebrew as a gift the next day, but I don't think they were metallic. It still might work.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.