Fuming mad at my Brupaks Enamel Boiler..

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
NickK

Fuming mad at my Brupaks Enamel Boiler..

Post by NickK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Well after the emergency rescue of my pils when it cut out 60 minutes into the rolling boil, it has now cut out again for my scottish red as it was building to the boil before he hot breakafter a scrub clean.

Now the fact that it has cut out is bad enough, for a second time is grounds for replacement, for the fact that the grain bill has commercially unavailable Bere Barley (a 5,000 year old variety) kindly donated by Bruichladdich distillery has left me so "furious" that words such as livid, fuming, furious or any other english expression (including expletives) just can express the rage boiling in the nerves under the surface of my skin, the clenched teeth and the hair standing on the back of my neck..

I would expect that a device sold for a purpose by Brupaks should be able achieve the require rolling boil of wort..

Does this post demonstrate the venom and utter contempt I have have for Brupaks at the present time?

Gray

Re: Fuming mad at my Brupaks Enamel Boiler..

Post by Gray » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:31 pm

I had a very similar experience at the weekend with mine and that was the second time it had done it for me, have you contacted Brupaks at all as I think thats going to be my next step?

NickK

Post by NickK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Well I've just tried again after leaving it switched off to cool down and it cut out again.

Wort temperature at switch on = 55 degC.
Wort temperature at cut out = 71 degC by touching the thermometer against the heater disc at the bottom.

NickK

Post by NickK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:32 pm

No scale, no particulates (a really clean mashing for once and no hops yet either) and the first cut out was after stiring.

Gravity 1040 @ 55 degC so that would need scaling although my hydrometer states +0.004 @ 35degC. So scaling 0.004 for each 10degC above 20 give +0.014 or preboil gravity of ~1055.

It's odd, it doesn't taste that sweet.

At this late hour I have conceded to losing the batch :cry: and drowning my sorrows in a wee dram..