Fermenter with tap

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
gunner

Fermenter with tap

Post by gunner » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Are FV'S with taps a worthwhile purchase. Is the tap fitted at suitable height above the layer of yeast, at end of fermentation,not to drag to much sediment into the barrel.

Graham.

Swiller

Re: Fermenter with tap

Post by Swiller » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:50 pm

I bought 3 Youngs fermenters they came without taps but had a ready made point in which to fit one by drilling the appropriate size hole so I did, I don't have any problems with trub as the tap is set high enough not to pick up any. I just tip the fermenter slightly to get clear beer out and leave the sediment on the bottom, works for me.

Jules

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:04 pm

I've got both, but I am not currently using the taps.
You can always get a syphon tube immersed in cleaner/disinfectant, but I am concerned about the inside of the tap after a few days, especially if it has had beer flowing through it.
It might make more sense if you keep the tap wrapped up until you need it :?:

On the other hand, I might be being too careful!
There are a lot of pics here of people using the taps on primary and secondary FVs.

flything

Post by flything » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 pm

befuggled wrote:I've got both, but I am not currently using the taps.
You can always get a syphon tube immersed in cleaner/disinfectant, but I am concerned about the inside of the tap after a few days, especially if it has had beer flowing through it.
It might make more sense if you keep the tap wrapped up until you need it :?:

On the other hand, I might be being too careful!
There are a lot of pics here of people using the taps on primary and secondary FVs.
Just spray the tap with no rinsh sanitiser before and after you use it. I have gone back to using a syphon because I had problems with the beer getting oxidised running through a tube with a big enough bore to fit over the tap, still use the taps for taking samples for gravity checks.