Calling Beer Engine experts

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Calling Beer Engine experts

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Glad you got sorted out.

Now you can enjoy the full beer engine experience! :)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!

Chassyh

Post by Chassyh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi all here I am again with beer engine questions.
I have recently purchased 2 second hand Angram type CO pumps. They work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.

I have noticed this happening in some pubs, without seeing if the offending engines were Angrams, anyone have any ideas to stop this? Thanks

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 pm

Chassyh wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 pm
work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.
Beer engine or bedroom advice? :=P
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2018......... 104
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

PeeBee
Piss Artist

Post by PeeBee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Chassyh wrote:
Hi all here I am again with beer engine questions.
I have recently purchased 2 second hand Angram type CO pumps. They work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.

I have noticed this happening in some pubs, without seeing if the offending engines were Angrams, anyone have any ideas to stop this? Thanks
A likely culprit is the "flap" valves in the cylinder. Any handpump would have them. Those valves do wear out or otherwise not effect a very good seal (in bad cases some handpumps will suck beer back from the glass - if the nozzle is submerged as is commonly the case with "swan-neck" or "northern" nozzles - but some pumps can be heard sucking back air too). You can imagine the "flap" will make a noise if it is not sealing, or a bit loose when open - like blowing across a blade of grass held between your thumbs (if you ever did that sort of thing).

The "flap" valves don't have to be worn. They can operate in a less than optimum manner even if new or replaced.

PeeBee
Piss Artist

Post by PeeBee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:59 pm

BarnsleyBrewer wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 pm
Chassyh wrote:
work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.
Beer engine or bedroom advice? :=P
I suddenly feel like I'm taking the question too seriously with my last reply.