Electric Bill!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
GeordieBrewer

Electric Bill!

Post by GeordieBrewer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:02 pm

I've just had my electric bill in, and the usage is a lot higher than the past few years. Conveniently, Scottish power provide a graph to compare untilisation, and it looks like this year has peaked during the brewing period, and dropped off in the Summer....

Does anyone know how much having a 30L Burco going for a couple of hours for liquor, and a couple more for the boil is likely to cost it power?

Ta,

Martin

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Electric Bill!

Post by vacant » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:34 pm

How much per unit is you electricity? Suppose it is 15p.

Then a 2.2Kw element (2,200) would be 15 x 2.2 = 33p per hour or for a 3Kw element 45p per hour. That's if it is on all the time.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

GeordieBrewer

Post by GeordieBrewer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:18 am

Great!

Thanks, Vacant..... Electric is 9.2p per KwH, and the boiler has a 3kW element - guess that works out at 27p per hour. Probably just over £1 on a brew day - I can live with that! :D

Ta,

Martin

Northern Brewer

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:51 am

In addition to my primary 20 litre Burco I also use a home-made 2KW kettle element boiler to boil my second runnings for 1 hour before these are merged with the Burco's contents. I have been able to establish that their combined usage on a brew day consumes less than 13 units of electricity; hence around £1.40, which is less than I'd originally imagined.

beer taster
Piss Artist

Post by beer taster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:03 pm

I brewed yesterday and had an energy meter running, in total I used 11KWh, not sure how much Atlantic charge me per KWh