Beer Engine

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Beer Engine

Post by dcq1974 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi All
I'm just about to take delivery of a beer engine and just wondered what other kit I will need to take beer from 1) a polypin 2) a Cornie.

I guess I will need a check valve or cask breather?

Any help appreciated
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

Scooby

Re: Beer Engine

Post by Scooby » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Polypins can be connected direct to an engine, the pin collapses as the beer is drawn so no air enters.

Cornies can be connected with a cask breather or a demand/check valve. My preference is a demand valve, they have the advantage of being cheaper then a breather

Demand valves have a 3/8" jg connection from the cornie and a 1/2" to the engine. place the valve as close as possible to the engine and set the regulator to a minimal pressure 2-3psi. check on BB's site for demand valves :wink:

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:29 pm

I bought my Beer Engine from Scooby not long ago and he kindly enclosed a Worthside Check Valve along with it.

Today I intend to rack off my London Pride clone into the Polypin I got from Barley Bottom (£9.99) and when it's matured dispense it via the Engine. I did a test run this morning by filling the Polypin full of Sterilised water and pulling it through my chiller. I connected the Polypin Tap to the check valve, the valve to my flash cooler, the flash cooler to the engine. I expected a bit of resistance from the narrow gauge of my chiller lines but it pulls through very nicely at its 1/4 pt standard.

Most importantly there is no backflow of oxygen into the Polypin due to the check valve and the Polypin just collapses around the remaining beer. This, I hope, means the beer stays as good on the first pint as it does on the last. A few people on here seem to do the same and folks say that the beer does keep for quite a long time. Personally I haven't got the room in my new place to brew excessive amounts of beer so I intend to keep 3-4 pins on the go maximum so there's no danger of the beer getting too mature!
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Although not detrimental you don't really need a demand valve when used with a polypin. If all the hose clips are really tight no air should enter the lines :wink:

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:09 pm

Cheers guys - great response

Looking forward to the engine! :D
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Excellent! I assumed the action of purging the chamber by pushing the pump handle down again somehow pushed some air back down the lines. If that's not the case then I guess i'll cut the check valve out of my setup.

Cheers
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 pm

It makes for a more tidy set up, give it a try I'm sure you will be ok :wink: