What to buy? A top or bottom tap keg

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
escapizm

What to buy? A top or bottom tap keg

Post by escapizm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 am

Now I’m a convert of king kegs having had problems initially I really like their simplicity over bottles.

My birthday approaches and a keg could well be the gift of choice :lol:

I’ve a top tap conditioning so have yet to pull a pint and endure possible problems with float!

However does anyone have a preference of the top or bottom tap, the keg being on the floor thing isn’t an issue so a bottom tap could be used. They do seem simpler and I hope :^o to leave to condition properly so "stealing" some clear beer of the top of a top tap hold no real benefit for me...

Think I’ve answered my own question

delboy

Re: What to buy? A top or bottom tap keg

Post by delboy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Bottom tap all the way, if you run out of gas on a top tap you're knackered, at least with a bottom tap you can gravity dispense.

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:47 pm

I agree with Delboy. I've used both over the years and ended up getting rid of the floater kegs.
Theres nothing to stop you buying a bottom tap keg and fitting a float device to it which you can buy separtely. That way if you don't get on with it youve still got a useable keg

escapizm

Post by escapizm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:54 pm

thanks guys, "nuff" said.

H&G do one http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/de ... N20154942&, id changed the tap on my TT for a dalex pub style one. Id never used the standard one :oops: is it worh keeping, what does the beer come out like?

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Comes out great with a dalex tap if its got a flow control on. No idea without as mine have them. I would keep the original tap, you never know when spares might come in handy.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Bottom tap without a doubt, I have 3 bottom tap kegs and 1 top tap, I keep it for brews that I don't drink that often cos it uses far too much CO2

beer taster
Piss Artist

Post by beer taster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:00 pm

Bottom tap for me as well