Any Reason...

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
haZe

Any Reason...

Post by haZe » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:47 pm

...not to have an IC type cooler as a permanent fixture in a SS boiler?

Assuming there's enough room and that the sides can be drilled easily enough for tank connectors (or similar)?

delboy

Re: Any Reason...

Post by delboy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:55 pm

It'll obvioulsly be in the boil for the full 90mins rather than the usual, if you are worried about copper levels in beer, you could look into installing a stainless steel immersion chiller (which will look the dogs dangles as well).

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:34 pm

The only problem I can see is ease of cleaning.

haZe

Post by haZe » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Delboy, I'm lead to believe Copper will be far more efficient than SS so would rather go down that route. Do I need to worry about excessive copper levels in this scenario?

What lengths do people go to to clean boilers then? I was thinking quick rinse out with the hosepipe after every use, maybe a long soak in a (to be determined) cleaning solution from time to time & a good scrub up whenever I get around to it?

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Copper is pretty safe. After all, beer used to be boiled in copper vessels, hence the name.

Cleaning the boiler is not a big deal but you would need to make sure you can get all those hop petals out. Get the design of the ic wrong and it will be a bit of a pain to rinse out.

haZe

Post by haZe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Cheers folks, I like the idea of an all-in-one solution 8)