WHERE TO GET ALL I NEED FOR CORNELIUS KEG SET UP

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JULES

WHERE TO GET ALL I NEED FOR CORNELIUS KEG SET UP

Post by JULES » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm looking into a cornie set up and i have a few questions on the subject i need your help with please,I have already found out that Norm will be the best to get the kegs from but i want to get everything right first time and not find out that i need something further down the line.

1. ( please excuse me if I'm being a bit dim ) but If I brew in a FV will I be able to add the finings at the end of fermentation and then transfer when clear ( possibly 3 days or more ) into the cornie or will I risk infecting the brew because it has been left fairly open to the elements.This will determine how many kegs I get from Norm

2. Can Norm supply the twin gauge regulator for a pub type co2 bottle with the kegs and if not where can i get one from and how much will it be.

3. Judging by threads i have seen i will also most likely need 3/8 to 3/16 adapters and tubing to go from the Dalex tap to the keg, where can I get them from and what ones will I need please.

4. Spares for the keg ie: lid seals, spare disconnects, etc: what will I need and where to get them.

5. Thank you very much for helping me as when it comes to cornies i am a complete newbie....Jules

salnajjar

Re: WHERE TO GET ALL I NEED FOR CORNELIUS KEG SET UP

Post by salnajjar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:49 pm

1: Yes, be careful when mixing the finings in so as not to splash and cause oxidisation. Put the lid back on the FV straight after and leave, should be fine for a couple of days.

2: Norm can supply the twin gauge CO2 reg, but remember, this is just for CO2, not CO2/N2 mixes (he does have regs for these too but they're only primary regs, not the primary+secondary ones).

3: I've not had to use any adapters, the regs which I've had from Norm have already had the push-fit fittings put on.

4: Norm can supply these two, or you can purchase them straight from the manufacturer here.

Tell norm what you need and he'll no doubt knock of couple of quid off. I did a bank transfer to him so he discounted the usual amount that paypal/ebay charge him.

JULES

Post by JULES » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:15 pm

salnajjar wrote:1: Yes, be careful when mixing the finings in so as not to splash and cause oxidisation. Put the lid back on the FV straight after and leave, should be fine for a couple of days.

2: Norm can supply the twin gauge CO2 reg, but remember, this is just for CO2, not CO2/N2 mixes (he does have regs for these too but they're only primary regs, not the primary+secondary ones).

3: I've not had to use any adapters, the regs which I've had from Norm have already had the push-fit fittings put on.

4: Norm can supply these two, or you can purchase them straight from the manufacturer here.

Tell norm what you need and he'll no doubt knock of couple of quid off. I did a bank transfer to him so he discounted the usual amount that paypal/ebay charge him.
Thanks for the reply salnajjar, I am a bit worried about the length of time to fully clear the brew before putting it in the cornie, what finings do you recommend and how do i introduce them to the brew ?

I will only be brewing lager so I will only be needing the co2 gauges, as for the fittings they will be from the black disconnect to the Dalex tap and I have read by lengthening the tube and using smaller bore tubing that a mid to highly carbonated lager can be controlled this way, or do you think the flow control on the Dalex will eliminate the need for the smaller bore pipe..?

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey,

I was worreid about clearing before I put in a corni when i first moved over from plastic barrels.

Honestly, don't worry.

I have done secondary fermentation before transfering into a corni, and although there was less trub at the bottom of the keg it was more hassle than it's worth.

Now I just leave in the primary fv for 10 days under airlock, then transfer into the corni. Leave for 2 weeks minimum, I try to go for a 4-6 (although its very rare I get that long) and it will be fine. You will find the first couple of pints are very cloudy as its likely to pull through the trub at the bottom of the keg. The best was to avoid that is trim a bit of the out tubing off the inside of the keg, or just bend it (like I have) so its not touching the bottom of the keg.

Hope this helps :D

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

JULES wrote: I will only be brewing lager so I will only be needing the co2 gauges, as for the fittings they will be from the black disconnect to the Dalex tap and I have read by lengthening the tube and using smaller bore tubing that a mid to highly carbonated lager can be controlled this way, or do you think the flow control on the Dalex will eliminate the need for the smaller bore pipe..?
In answer to this a flow control dalex is great for s erving under pressure. Poured a beer last night from mine which had got up to 40 PSI and it poured fine. Although my dalex was dripping slightly from the JG guest fitting when it was pouring.

Hope this helps

JULES

Post by JULES » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:33 pm

myke2008 wrote:Hey,

I was worreid about clearing before I put in a corni when i first moved over from plastic barrels.

Honestly, don't worry.

I have done secondary fermentation before transfering into a corni, and although there was less trub at the bottom of the keg it was more hassle than it's worth.

Now I just leave in the primary fv for 10 days under airlock, then transfer into the corni. Leave for 2 weeks minimum, I try to go for a 4-6 (although its very rare I get that long) and it will be fine. You will find the first couple of pints are very cloudy as its likely to pull through the trub at the bottom of the keg. The best was to avoid that is trim a bit of the out tubing off the inside of the keg, or just bend it (like I have) so its not touching the bottom of the keg.

Hope this helps :D
Thanks Myke2008 for the reply, your method is the one i will be trying but i will use finings in the FV first and then transfer to the cornie. I spoke to Norm today and ordered 2 cornies and double gauge and i also ordered a few coopers kits online to brew. Another thing i'd like to ask is how do you sanitize and then sterilize the cornies.. Also have you mounted the Dalex on the cornie and if so how did you do it as it seems a bit short and doesn't have a back nut..thanks Jules

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:07 pm

JULES wrote:how do you sanitize and then sterilize the cornies..
I just use VWP (Chronie based cleaner), You shouldn't really use it as it can cause 'pitting' which basically damages the layer of metal in the keg. I still use it though as I am not to sure what else to try and have never had an infected brew as it sanatises really well. I just keep the contact time to as little as possible. I have a number of cornis so each one only gets cleaned out maybe 4 times a year so I can't see it causing to many problems. I did look at brupaks cleaner and asked on here if it would be better but none answered so I didn't buy it :P
JULES wrote:Also have you mounted the Dalex on the cornie and if so how did you do it as it seems a bit short and doesn't have a back nut..thanks Jules
Nah I didn't mount it, thought about it then decided it looked like to much hassle. I also use my kegs with beer engines so wanted to keep the keg in mint condition. Secondly if I sell them in the future it might be better. I did read on this forum about how to fit one, so maybe worth a search if you want to. I personally didn't see the point.

Any more q's just ask :D

JULES

Post by JULES » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

myke2008 wrote:
JULES wrote:how do you sanitize and then sterilize the cornies..
I just use VWP (Chronie based cleaner), You shouldn't really use it as it can cause 'pitting' which basically damages the layer of metal in the keg. I still use it though as I am not to sure what else to try and have never had an infected brew as it sanatises really well. I just keep the contact time to as little as possible. I have a number of cornis so each one only gets cleaned out maybe 4 times a year so I can't see it causing to many problems. I did look at brupaks cleaner and asked on here if it would be better but none answered so I didn't buy it :P
JULES wrote:Also have you mounted the Dalex on the cornie and if so how did you do it as it seems a bit short and doesn't have a back nut..thanks Jules
Nah I didn't mount it, thought about it then decided it looked like to much hassle. I also use my kegs with beer engines so wanted to keep the keg in mint condition. Secondly if I sell them in the future it might be better. I did read on this forum about how to fit one, so maybe worth a search if you want to. I personally didn't see the point.

Any more q's just ask :D
Thanks Myke for your time and input it is much appreciated...Jules

shandypants5

Post by shandypants5 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Jules I am selling a complete cornie set up if your interested on the for sale board.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27823

I got all the cornies from norm myself, so I am willing to undercut his prices (a bit :? )

I am skint and getting flexible on price so PM me an offer if you want.

JULES

Post by JULES » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 am

PM sent