sourcing SS pipe couplings

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jsr__

sourcing SS pipe couplings

Post by jsr__ » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm

I'm about to convert several kegs (all obtained from a legitimate source). Any ideas where the best places to get hold of SS pipe, ball valves and couplings are?

Any advice gratefully received... 8)

jubby
Under the Table

Re: sourcing SS pipe couplings

Post by jubby » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:20 pm

Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

kfm

Post by kfm » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Like Jubby I've used Tom Parker and BES and I've also had some good service and prices on sockets/nipples/adapters etc from http://www.nccsupplies.com who seem pretty friendly

jsr__

Post by jsr__ » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. BES don't seem to do a BSPT female-female coupling unless I don't understand what I'm looking at/missed it, although I see a BSP one. Is there a preferred thread standard? I read in the US keg conversion FAQ that I should go for NPT, is BSPT equivalent? Is 1/2" typical for plumbing or should I go to 3/4", say?

So many questions... Prost!

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:09 pm

jsr__ wrote:I read in the US keg conversion FAQ that I should go for NPT, is BSPT equivalent? Is 1/2" typical for plumbing or should I go to 3/4", say?
NPT stands for National Pipe Thread and is a US thread . . . hence getting the recomendation to use that on a US Keg COnversion FAQ :roll: BSP is British Standard Pipe . . . and is the standard here in the UK . . . Comes in two sorts BSPT (Tapered) and BSPP (Parallel).

With the appropriate use of PTFE Tape it is possible to connect NPT and BSPP fittings

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:59 pm

jsr__ wrote:Thanks for the info, guys. BES don't seem to do a BSPT female-female coupling unless I don't understand what I'm looking at/missed it, although I see a BSP one. Is there a preferred thread standard? I read in the US keg conversion FAQ that I should go for NPT, is BSPT equivalent? Is 1/2" typical for plumbing or should I go to 3/4", say?

So many questions... Prost!
They're called sockets, the American term is coupling, see full and half sockets female threads are usually parallel but are used with BSPT male threads with teflon tape