Stainless Conicals

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
casbar
Steady Drinker

Stainless Conicals

Post by casbar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Been talking to a company in China with a view of buying a couple of conicals. Now the sizes they offer are 32ltr and 65ltr. I have to buy a certain qty, I'm going to have 2, but I will sell the others on, so my question is, what sizes do you guys think would be the most useful for the homebrew market, I've not really decided whether I want the felxibilty of a 65ltr or can make do with a 32ltr, so was going to get a mix of the two.

This is not an advertisment, just interested in your views :)
The Mad Dog Brewery

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: Stainless Conicals

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:28 pm

If it were me, I'd go for the 32L because even if you do 10 gallon brews you can split the brew between 2 FVs.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

casbar
Steady Drinker

Post by casbar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks, but when I said I was having two, I meant, 1 for me and one for a mate :)

So am working on the theory of having one that will do my fermenting tasks. As I use cornies I think the 32l will do, it would also cover a 25ltr brew.
The Mad Dog Brewery

Bionicmunky

Post by Bionicmunky » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 pm

I would be interested in a 65L depending on quality and price.

J

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:29 pm

I would be careful of Stainless FV from China, The Welds might not be as clean as really necessary and you may find they harbour Bacteria.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Now if you were talking 120L I might be very interested.

casbar
Steady Drinker

Post by casbar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:58 pm

MightyMouth wrote:I would be careful of Stainless FV from China, The Welds might not be as clean as really necessary and you may find they harbour Bacteria.
Yeah, been through all that, there has been a thread on a US forum about a chap who has ordered his own from one of the companies I looked at and another chap who has just taken delivery of 2. The general feeling seemed to be, that as long as you keep it clean, its going to be no worse than plastic. And at over a £100 less and £200 less if you go for a blow off, than a Blichmann equivilant, it doesn't look bad. The company sells all over the US, and I haven't managed to actually find anyone who has had an issue with nasties. I'm just not sure I'm ready to pay Blichmann prices for home brewing :)
The Mad Dog Brewery

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Ah well if you have evidence that the product is fair quality then sounds good, I might even be interested in a 65lt one if the price is right.

casbar
Steady Drinker

Post by casbar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:26 pm

The quality doesn't look bad, I have pics from the company and they have been very helpfull, they have even sent my the stainless metal certificates. I'm under no illusion though, there are welds, they are not as smart inside as the Blichmann ones. But I've not managed to find anyone who has had problems with bacteria etc, in theory it could be an issue. There does seem to be a lot of them being used in the US and I've joined the homebrewtalk forum in the US and they do seem to be quite anal about this stuff. The biggest debate seems to be around whether to buy American rather than from China. Everything is built to a price point I guess, although the US do seem to put a lot more tax on imports than we do.
The Mad Dog Brewery