New hop filter finished at last

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wetdog

New hop filter finished at last

Post by wetdog » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:17 pm

I've been collecting the parts over the last few months and finally put it all together.
on testing with water it drains down to 1 litre or if I tip it forward then it goes down to 350ml
Thanks to Tequila6 for the idea and advice
the whole thing including the tap, mesh and Stainless hose connectors cost around £35 :shock:
I removed the old plastic tap and the hole was too big for the new lever valve so I decided to fit an extra element to use as a standby in case one fails

Scooby

Re: New hop filter finished at last

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:49 pm

I reckon if you get a friendly plumber to bend the circular pipe then cut only 1/4 - 1/2 way through with the slots, and have them facing down you'll get next to no dead space, especially with the rim in the base of the vessel helping you. All the same it looks a top job, very neat :wink:

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm

I scratched my head over this for weeks and in the end it was a proper nightmare soldering the 'T' shape together to make sure the ends dipped right into the gutter of the bucket.
on hindsight instead of the elbows I could have put 15 down to 10mm reducers on and drilled a 10mm hole in one of the gutter pieces. Ah well, maybe one day I'll get round to it... a half pints dead space won't hurt too much for now

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Yeh 1/2pt is nothing, and I know all about the hindsight thing :roll: