Cornie leak

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Cornie leak

Post by Eadweard » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:36 pm

My cornie has developed a leak as the pipe that goes to the tap became a bit loose. I've pushed it back in but is that enough or will I need to do more?

leedsbrew

Re: Cornie leak

Post by leedsbrew » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:41 pm

I think the only answer will be to have a few more pints and keep an eye on it! :D :D do you recon you'll manage it? :wink:

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:58 am

That's quite a tight bend to have so close to the JG fitting. It would be better if you could arrange the pipe to be a bit straighter, maybe by adding a 90 degree elbow. It's hard to say without seeing the whole pipe run.

Waffty

Post by Waffty » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:24 pm

John Guest also supply locking clips for their products which effectively take the slack out of the fitting, Paul from Harmony hut sells them HERE but agree that a smoother curve would also help.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

Eadweard

Post by Eadweard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:59 pm

There is quite a bend: Image

How are the pipes connected? Do you just push it in or is there more to it than that? I bought it as it is from The Home Brew Shop.

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Yeah they do just push in, but to release them you need to push the grey insert INTO the fitting, and pull out the pipe at the same time. Seems a bit odd but you'll get the hang of it.

As has been said, that's a sharp angle though . . . I would normally suggest fitting adaptors and using 3/16" pipe as it is a lot more flexible, but you would have to check that it wouldn't get in the way where the tap is (you'd leave a stub of pipe coming out of the existing fitting, then slide the adaptor onto it . . . although I'd replace the clear tube with some stiff grey pipe as it should seal better).
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 pm

I agree with all the above but unless the pic is deceiving why don't you turn the disco anticlockwise, that will straighten the entry into the tap and any stress at the disco end won't cause a problem.