Hydrometer - Misunderstood?!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
oldskooladdict

Hydrometer - Misunderstood?!

Post by oldskooladdict » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 am

Right, I purchased a hydrometer yesterday, thinking this would allow me to measure the strength of various alcoholic drinks (for starters).

So, whilst my brew is bubbling away like mad I thought I'd pop some 12% wine in the tube and spin in the hydrometer. This then settles at around SG 998. The other two scales (approx sugar and potential alcohol) both finish before my reading and there's a section that just says 'beer or wine' ?!

So...

1. How can I use the hydrometer in this case (I thought I could check it was working to see if it gave a 12% alcohol reading!)
2. With my current brew, it's supposed to ferment for 10 days then when there's less than 1 bubble per min it's good to go - can I use the hydrometer in any way here to make this more accurate a guide as to whether it's ready to bottle or not?
3. When I make Tubro Cider for the first time (probably next weekend now) how should I use the hydrometer (since I have it from the start of the process)

Sorry for all the questions but I've read the winemakers guides to hydrometers on the web and I'm none the wiser really, except I think that just pouring beer in and saying oh its 5.5% isn't going to happen...

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Hydrometer - Misunderstood?!

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 am

oldskooladdict wrote:Right, I purchased a hydrometer yesterday, thinking this would allow me to measure the strength of various alcoholic drinks (for starters).

So, whilst my brew is bubbling away like mad I thought I'd pop some 12% wine in the tube and spin in the hydrometer. This then settles at around SG 998. The other two scales (approx sugar and potential alcohol) both finish before my reading and there's a section that just says 'beer or wine' ?!

So...

1. How can I use the hydrometer in this case (I thought I could check it was working to see if it gave a 12% alcohol reading!)
2. With my current brew, it's supposed to ferment for 10 days then when there's less than 1 bubble per min it's good to go - can I use the hydrometer in any way here to make this more accurate a guide as to whether it's ready to bottle or not?
3. When I make Tubro Cider for the first time (probably next weekend now) how should I use the hydrometer (since I have it from the start of the process)

Sorry for all the questions but I've read the winemakers guides to hydrometers on the web and I'm none the wiser really, except I think that just pouring beer in and saying oh its 5.5% isn't going to happen...

To test the hydrometer, just spin it in plain water and note at 20C it should read 1.000

To establish when to bottle your brew should give 2 hydrometer readings the same value, 48 hours apart.

For your cider take a reading (at 20C) before you pitch the yeast in. Note the reading (eg 1051) When it has fermented out it will read in the region of 998 to 1004........lets say 1001. Deduct 1001 from the original reading of 1051 giving you 50. Multiply by 0.13 you will have 6.5 (6.5% ABV) if you then bottle with priming sugar the additional fermentation will give you about 6.7% ABV in total. There are other figure but this will be close enough to get you started.

You cant use a hydrometer to tell you that actual ABV of an unknown liquid

Good luck, Enjoy

John
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Northern Brewer

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:44 am

oldskooladdict wrote: I think that just pouring beer in and saying oh its 5.5% isn't going to happen...
As the sugar becomes converted to alcohol the solution becomes less dense and the hydrometer will sink further. It is only by using the hydrometer to measur the difference between the starting point and end point that you can calculate alcohol content. That said, one can usually look at a starting gravity and anticipate the strength of the resulting beer.

oldskooladdict

Post by oldskooladdict » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:52 am

Ah ok thanks guys, so I guess I'll draw off a sample towards the end of the fermenting and then 2 days later and see what it says. So I assume if they (the 2 readings) are the same that's basically saying the yeast has done all it's going to do with the stuff it could munch on for this brew?

I'll be sure to measure the TC from the start and then at the end, should be interesting :)

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:55 am

Yep..................you got it :!:

You can measure it in the FV. Remember to sanitise EVERYTHING at each stage. If you draw off to measure DON'T return it. Get it down you neck!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

oldskooladdict

Post by oldskooladdict » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks John, I guess the sterriliser stuff I used before when I cleaned out all my bottles would be sufficient for this purpose - obviously rinsing it copious times in water so as not to taint the brew with steriliser!

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:31 pm

I suggest you get a hydrometer test cylinder -- a measuring cylinder the right size for your hydrometer. Then all you need is a sterilised bit of plastic tubing, no need to sterilize anything else.

You probably don't need to worry too much about rinsing it either, as long as you shake off most of the sterilising solution -- that saves the possibility of re-infecting things with nasties from your kitchen tap.

So, put one end in the fermenter, suck the other end to start the siphon and direct it into a jug -- collect about 200ml or so, pour into your measuring cylinder with the hydrometer in. Measure the gravity, then do a taste test!

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:35 pm

I use a turkey baster to draw up my samples.