Keggerator Taps

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Alibee

Keggerator Taps

Post by Alibee » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm currently buying a cornie set up from Norm.

The taps he is offering look very nice and shiny with long shanks but they don't have flow control.

I won't be holding my beer in a keggerator- it will just be sitting in my garage at ambient temp of say 5C currently. Aiming to dispense mainly bitter, and possibly some turbocider and wheat beer.

So my question is - do I need flow control? I will be running the beer through a couple of metres of 3/16 pipe as the main method of managing the flow anyway.

Cheers

Al

Subsonic

Re: Keggerator Taps

Post by Subsonic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:37 pm

I took a corny keg to the farm shoot yesterday full of 6.5% IPA. I gassed it to 20psi weeks in advance. Then on the day I dropped the pressure to zero stuck one of those taps (actually straight on the the outpost cos my other taps are fitted through my fridge) and cracked the gas to a couple of PSI. it dispensed a perfect pint still with a few nice bubbles coming out of solution. Those taps are only good for dispensing 'flat beer' i.e 2psi or so otherwise it gushes out as foam OR use a long beer line between the keg and tap which drops the pressure. So, in answer to your question - you should be fine whatever beer you dispense as you have the option of the longer beer line in between. Edit - I also dispense the most fizzy wheat beer in the world using those taps so they really do work with a long beer line. Those short lines are only good for a very low pressure beer. Subsonic. P.S. I picked the keg up lunchtime and it was bloody nigh on empty!