Norm's wort pumps

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Scotty

Norm's wort pumps

Post by Scotty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:48 am

I'm in the stages of planning my set-up and I'm trying to figure a way to transfer hot liquids. As I have the capacity to brew a lot (100l copper :twisted: ) and I don't like the idea of moving 20l plus of mash water to a height higher than the mash tun, I believe I don't have any other option other than using a transfer pump. I have spotted Norm's transfer pump with fittings http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D2. How good are these, and how long would I expect one to last?

Scooby

Re: Norm's wort pumps

Post by Scooby » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:23 pm

The GP20-12 is a good pump and will do the job for many years, there are lots in use by forum members and I only recall one ever failing, that was new iirc and was caused by a tight impeller and easily sorted.

Some prefer the Totton NDP pumps, they are a simpler pump and easier to strip if grain gets caught in the impeller, that's unlikely to happen but of course it can. It's never happened to me though.

Scotty

Re: Norm's wort pumps

Post by Scotty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks Scooby! As I will mostly be transferring water, I shouldn't have a problem with grain getting stuck but you never know! :lol:

I have however, sucessfully negotiated with SWMBO for this as a Christmas pressie! :wink: