Loose FV tap!!!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
neilos

Loose FV tap!!!

Post by neilos » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:15 pm

I've just been to my FV and the newspaper it is standing on is wet!!! The tap that I fitted to it has a rubber washer on both sides, and I made sure it was tightened up well before filling the FV 2 days ago. I was able to turn the tap 2 full turns, problem sorted! Is it just because I put a washer on the inside and it has shrunk a bit? I'll just have to keep checking it every day now!

Philipek

Re: Loose FV tap!!!

Post by Philipek » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Oh, those taps are a bit of a nightmare.

I have a washer inside and out. Too much pressure and it leaks, too little pressure and it leaks. I fill my bucket (mash tun is the same as the FV) with hot cleaning solution and check back every now and then during the brew as it cools down till I find that sweet spot where there's not a single drip.

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Try it with just a rubber washer on the outside you will be able to get it tighter and therefore a better seal :)
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

neilos

Post by neilos » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:32 pm

I'll go for the single washer on my next brew.

I've checked my FV about 10 times in the last 30 mins, I'm not going to sleep tonight!

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:38 pm

I use a washer just on the outside and have no leaky tap problems, despite some of the plastic taps being 18 years old . . . :lol:
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now