Barley bottom 4.5 gal pins

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jimw86

Barley bottom 4.5 gal pins

Post by jimw86 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Has anybody used these? I'm thinking about using these but was wondering if the tap and pegs that they sell on BB are the right size for these? I would assume they are but have learned never to assume anything! [-X

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Barley bottom 4.5 gal pins

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Might be a good idea to send an email to BB and ask ;)

jimw86

Post by jimw86 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:52 pm

I thought that but always good to get a consumers view.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:02 pm

jimw86 wrote:I thought that but always good to get a consumers view.
Paul at Barley Bottom is very helpful and always responds quickly to any queries :)

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Paul stocks everything you need - he set me up with all the bits for my 4.5 gallon pins. 8)
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Drafty

Post by Drafty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Can anyone tell me why you would use these pins over a budget barrel? Just trying to get a handle on when/if they could be useful.

Thanks, Matt

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Drafty wrote:Can anyone tell me why you would use these pins over a budget barrel? Just trying to get a handle on when/if they could be useful.

Thanks, Matt
It's a classic example of diminishing returns . . . I am expecting a 10% increase in beer quality for a 30% increase in outlay. My reason is to try and get a better condition in the beer, which I have failed to manage with a budget barrel. A pub quality cask is also made from good quality materials and prior to it being vented, you can roll it about etc. without any taps to damage or worry of spillage, ideal if you have to cart the beer around the premises (like I do as the racking, conditioning and cellar areas are all in different places).

I haven't opened one of mine yet, one is full of a Christmas Chocolate Stout and the other is going to have my mild in it, so the first use will probably be in 3 weeks or so at the earliest for me, so I can't report back if there is a significant improvement.
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:41 pm

Anything to report?