KK

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crookedeyeboy

KK

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:15 am

Whats the usual practice for purging a KK. Ran out of bottles and I am very reluctant to use it as the last time I did it got an infection.
Any tips for using this KK?

Thanks

wetdog

Re: KK

Post by wetdog » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:12 pm

I've been using them for years and never had an infection. I used to wash them out with chempro but these days I fill with warm water, add 125ml of thin bleach and leave for half an hour before allowing it to drain out of the tap then rinse thoroughly.
after that, just fill with wort and leave to condtion

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Yeah Im hoping the infection was due to my lack of diligence as it was a pnic and a last minute rush around to shirt beer from one place to another.
Do you not purge the O2 out of the KK after it is filled with wort?
I do pretty much the same cleaning wise I will give it a thorough wash out with a sponge and some caustic then run bleach through it and the tap.
I did notice the tap looking a little suspect when I took it all to pieces so I may ditch that.

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 pm

I havent used my KK for a while but what I used to do (sometimes anyway) was clean out the KK ready for use.

Put the lid on when its empty and put some C02 in.
Take the lid off then fill with my fermented beer and some sugar (A lot of the C02 you just put in should stay in KK as its heavy than air, even with the lid off).
Put the lid on and give it a squirt more C02.
Lift up the rubber band around the c02 lid bit for a second(this will purge out any 02 that is on top of the co2)
I then left it. (You could repeat the process if you wanted but I didn't, I let secondary fermentation do its job)

Also as I said at the top I sometimes did the above process. Most of the time I never bothered purging the 02 out. The secndary fermentation should produce enough c02 to keep it safe from nasties anyway.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks I shall follow that advice then. How long does it take to get a good condition in the KK.
I am used to a good bit of condition in bottles after a wekk, then I put them in the garage. Will it take longer in the KK coz of headroom?

Thanks

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Um depends on temperature, how much sugar you put in, etc.. But a week or so will be fine. Depends if you want to wait longer for a clearer beer ( I do if I have enough to drink before hand).

If its still to 'flat' when you want to start drinking it just top it up with some c02.

One thing that is worth noting is more c02 is absorbed into the beer when its cold so try sticking the keg in a she or garage this time of year for a week. The beer will have more of a 'fizz' to it, although there will be less in the keg itself as its in the beer. Because it'll be in the beer you have more headspace to add even more c02 if desired. All of this though is personal preference. I don't like fizz in mine so I don't bother adding anymore.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Thats great cheers the beer will already be clear as I will be putting it in the KK after 24 hours of fining this has worked brilliantly so far with bottles. Just the right amount of yeast still present for condition but the majority dropped out so its drinkable as soon as!! :D

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 pm

What finnings do you use? I have in the past used gelatine youngs stuff and the results were mixed.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Well I have access to all the finings at work so I add about 30ml of auxiliary into the FV and fill with the beer then I add 60ml of our Allkleer A and give it a very gentle stir, leave for 24 hours and the results are amazing. Gelatine isnt really a good substitute for swim bladders im afraid! :D