Chrome Tap

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DarloDave

Chrome Tap

Post by DarloDave » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

I've chucked away the last 3 brews I've done due to when pouring them they've had bits of mould floating in the glass. I assumed this was from the beer so chucked it, but have now realised when I took the tap apart theres a load of mould clogged up in it which I can't seem to move from just flushing hot water and scrubbing. Im hoping this is where the mould has been coming from in my beers and its not the actual brew that is turning manky. Does anybody have any advice? If I cant get it all out will beer running through a little bit hurt me? Or am I to just buy a different tap?

MightyMouth

Re: Chrome Tap

Post by MightyMouth » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:23 pm

What Kid of tap is it? Mine all come apart to clean.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 am

You need to soak all the parts in a bleach solution. You'll find the crud will come off easily.

Line and therefore the tap need to be cleaned regularly, I do mine once a week. It also helps to flush the nozzle after a session, I spay with starsan.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Scooby wrote:You need to soak all the parts in a bleach solution. You'll find the crud will come off easily.

Line and therefore the tap need to be cleaned regularly, I do mine once a week. It also helps to flush the nozzle after a session, I spay with starsan.
Whats the best way of cleaning your beer lines? (that's if you don't have an empty corny to use) :?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:34 pm

A garden sprayer that you can pressurise rigged up to squirt through the line and tap is one option, not forgetting to sanitise the disconnect.

Another is a carbonator cap connected a pet bottle but the caps a quite expensive. If you do a search for 'beerline cleaning' you'll find details of those and perhaps other ways of doing it

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:48 pm

've chucked away the last 3 brews I've done
#-o #-o #-o

Is it one of those enodis taps with flow control. They do have a tendency to build up crud. They come completely apart though - i've never had any problems just getting in there with a jet of water and maybe a soak in soda crystals.

daveylaa

Post by daveylaa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:00 pm

''Another is a carbonator cap connected a pet bottle but the caps a quite expensive.''

I used to waste CO2, time, water and brewers bleach. And only have 2 corni's!

As stated above, after seeing a picture from the US, in a 'line cleaning search' I bought a carbonater cap from Hop and grape and now use this with a 'pop bottle' with about 500ml of cleaning solution.

(1) Make up 500 ml of cleaning solution, put it in 2L 'pop' bottle.

(2) Attatch carbobater cap to bottle, attach this to the line that goes to your tap, ( the carbonater cap replicates the out post from a corni),

(3) Squeeze the bottle, upside down, so the solution goes through line: chiller, tap (open) and leave for 10 mins.

(4) I then use a second 'pop' bottle, with 2 L of tap water to rinse, (after attaching the carbonater cap) hence 4 x rinsing.

Done this several times now. so far so good. It does take a hell of a squeze to get it going.

Will take some pics when i have a mo.

Last note and I dont know why, the carbonator cap fits some 'Out' posts and not others?????

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Jim gently filed his cap so as the out disco fit's :wink:

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Scooby wrote:Jim gently filed his cap so as the out disco fit's :wink:
A picture paints a thousand words :wink:

daveylaa

Post by daveylaa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:24 pm

It's easy when you know how! :lol:

The metal ring on the, blue plastic caps are therfore obviousuly not a 'perfect' fit! Hence a bit of filing!

:o

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 pm

This is the set up with the 'in' disco as intended:

If you look at your 'in' and 'out' posts the ridge on the 'in' is a larger dia, you need to ease this down (on the carbonator cap) so the 'out' disco fits, that saves changing the discos for cleaning.

daveylaa

Post by daveylaa » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:53 pm

Cheers
Will have a look!