cornny pressure

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
smeggedup
Hollow Legs

cornny pressure

Post by smeggedup » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:03 pm

can anyone help me i just don't seem to be getting the right amount of fizz to my drinks in the cornnys
can anyone run me through the carbonising stages as i'm confused after a doing a few searches online
cheers
Drink till she's cute, but stop before the wedding

If i can't brew it i dont drink it

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

tractor

Re: cornny pressure

Post by tractor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:13 pm

took me a while as well, as rule of thumb hold it at 10psi in 10 degrees (because temperture effects how much co2 is aborbed) for about 3 weeks and go from there. you should only need to adjust your pressure a little but remember any changes you make won't effect the carbonation over night so give it a week before you adjust again.

It will take a while but once you've got it set it theres for you.

cheers

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:28 pm

I agree, its the time that is important. I can get the most amazing fizzy wheat beer (almost like a constant stream of champagne bubbles) but it needs time to carbonate. Also, keep checking the pressure, I leave my gas disconnected but check every now and again to make sure its topped up. I had a link to this which may be useful http://www.beernut.com/Web_store/kegging.pdf All about getting the right pressure and balancing beer lines. I stuck it on my kegerator. Subsonic

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Post by smeggedup » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:12 pm

ok so do you just fill it up and pressurise it to 10psi and leave it does that carbonise it?

confused as i've seen a few yanks saying to roll it around for 20minutes try it and it failed

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

tractor

Post by tractor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 pm

yeah pretty much, i don't know where your mates got 20 minits from thats a load of sh*t it'll takes a few weeks at least.

As subsonic said you need to keep checking the pressure because it will drop as the co2 gets absorbed into your brew, don't think your cornie is leaking it isn't.

I Can empathise (is that how you spell it?) with your confusion, but don't try and over complicate it, 10psi at 10 degrees (or just left in the garage this time of year) will give you a good carbonation, but just give it time.

hope this helps if your still confused just ask

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Carbonating as mentioned above is by far the best way to do it.

The rock and roll method advocated by the Americans works on the principal of increasing the surface area of the beer, this speeds up co2 absorption and it can be done in a matter of mins. Set the desired psi and shake and roll the keg, you'll here the regulator releasing co2 as you do, when it stops your carbonated.

It's easy to over do it though and your beer may suffer from 'carbonic bite' plus imo the absorbed co2 forms larger bubbles as opposed to the fine beads you get letting it happen 'naturally'

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:34 pm

Scooby is right. Rock and Roll is advocated but in my experience it is $hite. Time is needed. My kegs used to get rock and roll and a lot of foam cos I had cornies and was impatient. Now they get cool laid back chilling in my ATC kegerator and man are they cool and fizzy!

I just checked my gas on the 'champagne' wheat beer, this is a 'fizzy as hell beer'. 10psi at 3/4 celcius with a long beer line. Its been on that for weeks mind but its fizzy as hell.

I also Just tapped off a stout for a shoot I am going to tomorrow. Dropped pressure, poured into chilled bottles, capped and I am ready to go. My advice is to get a load of beer on. I used to have 2 cornies, now I have about 300 litres capacity (thats not an error lol!). (I should be fat) I get loads on and gas up, by the time I drink the beer it is perfect. Just give it time and all will be well. Took me a while to appreciate this. Subsonic.

tractor

Post by tractor » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:20 am

my brews all good and fizzy at the moment and i'm really pleased with it.

my problem is that i dont ave any where to keep my kegs cool in the summer, so will my cider loose carbonation as the temperature rises next spring? or is it a case that once the co2 been absorbed it doesn't come out until the pressure is released?

thanks

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:04 am

You will loose carbonation as the temp rises because the beer won't hold as much Co2, it will come out of solution until the pressure equalises.

You can tell from the chart that subsonic linked to how much more psi you need to dial in to achieve the same level of carbonation for a given temperature rise.

Also covered in that link is the problem you will then have. To dispence you beer at 'winter' temp you will need X length of beer line. In the summer you will need to increase the psi to maintain the same level of carbonation as mentioned above which means you will also have to add length to X so you don't just pour froth. Does that make sense?

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Post by smeggedup » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 am

could some on post a link to the chart mentioned
how do you measure the temperature of the keg when carbonating ?
and has anyone ever use a corny for dispensing wine (for the miss'ssss)
'hehe just noticed the link

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Measure the temperature of the environment the keg is in with a thermometer. ie the temp in the garage, fridge, cabinet, cupboard under the stairs.

I haven't but can't see and difference between dispensing wine and beer.

tractor

Post by tractor » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Scooby wrote:You will loose carbonation as the temp rises because the beer won't hold as much Co2, it will come out of solution until the pressure equalises.

You can tell from the chart that subsonic linked to how much more psi you need to dial in to achieve the same level of carbonation for a given temperature rise.

Also covered in that link is the problem you will then have. To dispence you beer at 'winter' temp you will need X length of beer line. In the summer you will need to increase the psi to maintain the same level of carbonation as mentioned above which means you will also have to add length to X so you don't just pour froth. Does that make sense?

yeah it does thanks, i'll look for a chest freezer i recon, plenty of time between now and the summer

thanks