Bottle stopper seals

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Blackaddler
Under the Table

Bottle stopper seals

Post by Blackaddler » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:10 pm

I freecycled some 2 pint [cider?] bottles a while back, but haven't used them because every seal is either cracked or perished.
As the seal appears to be tapered, can it be replaced cheaply, or are these bottles destined for recycling?

ImageImage

Scooby

Re: Bottle stopper seals

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Give Hop Shop a ring and find out if any of these are suitable

We collected those bottles as lads and got 3d back on them, a pack of 5 Woodbines and 5 Swans from a machine was 3d :lol:

Edit Every home brewer had a stash of them in the 70's

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:51 pm

Scooby wrote:Give Hop Shop a ring and find out if any of these are suitable

Yes, these look like the ones, but I only need 8, so with £2 minimum postage, it works out expensive.

They're only rubber, [and not tapered], so maybe I can find a short length of ½" or 15mm ID rubber tubing somewhere, and then slice it up into ¼" washers....

[nostalgia] I remember collecting lemonade bottles and getting 3d back on the empties, when I was a nipper. One hot summer, at the beach, I made shillings! [/nostalgia]

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Still cheap, the bottles were free so 40p a bottles not bad, beer bottles are 50p and you have to buy caps :wink:

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Scooby wrote:Still cheap, the bottles were free so 40p a bottles not bad, beer bottles are 50p and you have to buy caps :wink:
I know it's not a lot of money, but I can get plenty of ordinary beer bottles for free.

It was only last year that I took up brewing again [previously kits in the the early 80's]. Fortunately, I kept all my old brewing gear in the garage. Including a couple of boxes of [maybe 80] old Schweppes tonic bottles. They were really good, but some of the metal screw caps aren't sealing properly any more, and difficult or impossible to replace.

So I might have to get myself a bottle capper, and start collecting bottles again, anyway. It'd probably be a good idea to standarize on one size or type, anyway.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Lucky you getting those bottles off freecycle, I use these bottles all the time and they are the easiest for bottling going. I am always on the lookout on freecycle and ebay for more . Seals and new tops are avaliable from most HB shops, have a look in your local one and save the postage.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 pm

a-slayer wrote: Seals and new tops are avaliable from most HB shops, have a look in your local one and save the postage.
I didn't think of that, and indeed they do have them - at 13p each. I'll get some on my next visit.

Cheers