Who has HLT temp control??? (adm???)

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Who has HLT temp control??? (adm???)

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:53 am

I'm just thinking ahead of time a bit as I probably won't make a HLT until next year.

How does the temperature control work, is it easy enough to rig up the http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_p ... db3e1eea85 with a probe and timer???

I suppose you have two temp settings, one for Mash and One for Sparge, or does it just work with one setting at 80c so the Mash Tun gets a pre-heat and you sparge with the same temp? I normally aim to sparge with 80-85c liquor.

Cheers :)

Scooby

Re: Who has HLT temp control??? (adm???)

Post by Scooby » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:42 am

The TC-10 heating circuit is rated at 10amp so can't really be used for that purpose.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:49 am

So only really for a Fridge then for the heating/cooling Fermentation etc?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:23 am

Yes, unless the element is very low power. I don't know of a controller like those that can do the job.

Pid control is the answer, I know nothing about that but your right I believe adm uses one.

boingy

Post by boingy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:30 am

My budget kettle element in my HLT pulls just under 2 kW, as measure by one of those plug-in power meters, so can be switched by one of those controllers.

The HLT needs no cooling so I use the ETC-200B:

http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=11

It's got the worst user interface in the world but you only need to set it up once and it remembers it all when the power is off.

I have it permanently set to 80C. I put all the mash water into the tun at 80C and let it cool down to whatever strike temperature I want whilst pre-heating the MT at the same time. Then I sparge at 80C. Works well for me.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:36 pm

So your HLT just has one element then?? what volume is it and how long does it take to heat to 80c ? Do you start from Cold or Hot Tap water?
Cheers for that link too.
:)

adm

Post by adm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Yep - I've got my HLT controlled by a PID and 25A SSR from Auber instruments, using a temperature probe from the now sadly defunct Watch Hill. Also a timer circuit added to the whole thing.

It's pretty basic. The temp probe is set into the HLT an measure the temp and reports back to the PID. The PID then compares that temp to it's set point and either does nothing, or fires the SRR which then allows the 240V to pass to the heating element. (I've got two heating elements in the HLT, but only one is PID controlled as I only use one these days)

I normally fill the HLT the night before, set it to 77C and then set the timer so that it's ready when I get up. Then I mash in, and adjust the PID to 82C to heat the remaining water up a bit higher for sparging.

For a 5G brew, I fill the HLT with 50L of water to start with and treat the whole lot. This does for my mash and sparge, plus when I have finished sparging I normally have 12-14L of hot water left over which I run into the sink and use to sanitise and clean all my kit.

I'm not sure I've got a circuit diagram in electronic form, but let me know if you want and I'll draw one up and post it....

adm

Post by adm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:42 pm

pdtnc wrote:So your HLT just has one element then?? what volume is it and how long does it take to heat to 80c ? Do you start from Cold or Hot Tap water?
Cheers for that link too.
:)
I think you were talking to Boingy here.......but I use one element as well.

It takes about 2 hours to go from cold tap water to 77C with 50L of water, but as it is on a timer, the time is irrelevant as it comes on automatically while I am still asleep and is up to temp when I get up!

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Cheers guys :) So 1 element will do to keep the temp but a second would be a good idea to get up to temp a bit quicker which could then be turned off and left ticking over on the thermostat one.
I've got a 45L barrel I plan on doing a conversion job on once my new garage is taking a more liveable shape! :)

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:30 pm

I've got a dual element 100 Litre HLT under temp control, using a brewtroller. Started off with a very basic config that only controlled the HLT and did not worry about pumps and valves then gradually put more and more of the system under its control.

2 Elements, 2 SSR's and one temp probe.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:22 pm

I don't want to get too technical, I think there is a reason brewing should be kept simple, I just like the idea of my Mash and Sparge water staying at the right temp without any messing. :)

adm

Post by adm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:52 pm

pdtnc wrote:I don't want to get too technical, I think there is a reason brewing should be kept simple, I just like the idea of my Mash and Sparge water staying at the right temp without any messing. :)
I hear you there......it makes life much easier, without having to keep an eye on too much equipment. Just one less thing to worry about.

boingy

Post by boingy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes, just one element and like a few others I stick it on a timer so the water is up to temperature when I get up. It's fine as long as you are able to plan your start time. I heat about 60 litres (I brew 8 gallon batches) and, yes, it's from cold.

You could always stick one element on the temp controller and then the other on, say, a 1 hour timer. So the bulk of the heating will use both elements and then the final bit will use one. Seems a bit fiddly though and you would have to supervise the first time to make sure you don't overheat.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm

So how long does that element take to heat 60L up?

boingy

Post by boingy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 pm

pdtnc wrote:So how long does that element take to heat 60L up?
Choose your answer:

1. No idea - I'm usually asleep!
2. Who cares? Get a life!
3. Vell, if ve take ze inital speed of rotation of ze Earth and divide by the density of ze heating element ve vill see that....
4. You talking to me, Big Nose?
5. 136 minutes for a 2kw element to heat 60 litres of water from 15C to 80C.

I prefer answer 1 or maybe answer 4 but I suspect you will prefer answer 5.

No idea if it is correct but it came from the "Water heating time calculator" on this very site:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html

I would have guessed a couple of hours so it seems about right.