Fermentation Immersion chiller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jimw86

Fermentation Immersion chiller

Post by jimw86 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Afternoon all. I have a new Maxi chiller with python recirc on it and was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could use this to make an immersion cooler for fermenting lagers. I tested it briefly on friday with a short length of hose and the water appears to get down to about 10'c. I imagined it would have got lower than this but I've never used one before so wouldn't know for sure.

If anyone has done this before or has any pics I'd be more than grateful. I would have searched the forum but I don't even know what Id be searching for.

Cheers

Jim

Parva

Re: Fermentation Immersion chiller

Post by Parva » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 pm

jimw86 wrote:Afternoon all. I have a new Maxi chiller with python recirc on it and was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could use this to make an immersion cooler for fermenting lagers. I tested it briefly on friday with a short length of hose and the water appears to get down to about 10'c. I imagined it would have got lower than this but I've never used one before so wouldn't know for sure.

If anyone has done this before or has any pics I'd be more than grateful. I would have searched the forum but I don't even know what Id be searching for.

Cheers

Jim
Here's one way :- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22658&hilit=maxi+fv

There is a simpler version which uses two sizes of enclosed copper pipe, the inflow goes down the narrower pipe and returns via the thicker pipe to the chiller. There was a diagram posted some time back which I can't find at the moment but it's a very simple affair and works effectively (I've seen one in use). However, you would likely need something like a TC-10 for temperature control.

jimw86

Post by jimw86 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Cheers parva

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:31 pm

Here's another thread...

Parva

Post by Parva » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:40 pm

That's the one I was trying to hunt down! :)