CFC advice.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Robdog

CFC advice.

Post by Robdog » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Not sure why but all of a sudden 2 out of my last 3 brews the hose on my IC has come off and i lost one brew but caught this one just in time, ive got it working again for now but im having to cool very slowly so it doesnt come off again under pressure. I think its time for a CFC to be made.

I know its probably a simple process but id just like to run through how they work before i take the plunge and make one.

Now the way im thinking i need my boiler on my kitchen side with the CFC chiller inbetween that and my FV on the floor so its gravity fed?

Is it then a case of running cold water from the bottom of the hose all the way through to the sink then attatching on end of my copper pipe to the boiler and letting the wort run through that into my FV while the cold water is going through the hose?

Ive done over 30 brews with this IC and its only just :( started playing up

edit1now
Under the Table

Re: CFC advice.

Post by edit1now » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Change the fittings on the IC? 8mm compression to 1/2"BSP male, then screw-on a Gardena/Hozelock type male adaptor and put a Gardena/Hozelock end on the hose?

Robdog

Post by Robdog » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:18 am

edit1now wrote:Change the fittings on the IC? 8mm compression to 1/2"BSP male, then screw-on a Gardena/Hozelock type male adaptor and put a Gardena/Hozelock end on the hose?

Thats not a bad idea mate although as my IC is meant to be for a 5gallon bucket and i use it in a 10 gallon bucket it means everythig including the hose is submersed so im not sure if the Hozelock fittings would stand up to being in the boil for the 15 mins the IC is steralising. I could always extend the legs on my IC i suppiose then use the fittings you suggest though.

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:26 am

why do you submerge it heat rises its the top you want to cool as cold will fall to the bootom of the bucket and you can helpit by stiring it the IC will leave the cold break in the pot but a counterflow will take it to the fermenter unless you do something to stop it
have another go with the IC get a reducer for the size of pipe it is to 15mm then put washing machine valves on then you can just screw in any 3/8 fittining onto it any plumbing shop should have the stuff you need