Brewmaster Top Tap Barrel

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Kirkburton_brewer

Brewmaster Top Tap Barrel

Post by Kirkburton_brewer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 am

I'm new to homebrewing, so learning new things week by week.

I've recently brewed some coopers stout - followed the instructions, and added additional malt and brewing sugar prior to first fermentation.

A week ago I transferred the stout into my brewmaster barrel (the first time I've used it) for second fermentation. I've now noticed that second fermentation has been successful, and pressure has been nicely building.... so much so that the bottom of the barrel has now pushed out and downwards - the barrel is obviously now unstable.

Two quick questions:

(1) Is the barrel now knackered, or will the base fall back into shape as pressure decreases? It isn't leaking anywhere.
(2) What am I supposed to do to release pressure to avoid this problem?

Wasn't expecting this to happen, so am totally confused!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

By the way, the stout tastes really good.

crafty john

Re: Brewmaster Top Tap Barrel

Post by crafty john » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:21 am

Kirkburton_brewer wrote:I'm new to homebrewing, so learning new things week by week.

I've recently brewed some coopers stout - followed the instructions, and added additional malt and brewing sugar prior to first fermentation.

A week ago I transferred the stout into my brewmaster barrel (the first time I've used it) for second fermentation. I've now noticed that second fermentation has been successful, and pressure has been nicely building.... so much so that the bottom of the barrel has now pushed out and downwards - the barrel is obviously now unstable.

Two quick questions:

(1) Is the barrel now knackered, or will the base fall back into shape as pressure decreases? It isn't leaking anywhere.
(2) What am I supposed to do to release pressure to avoid this problem?

Wasn't expecting this to happen, so am totally confused!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

By the way, the stout tastes really good.

Your pressure release valve isn't working, most valves have a rubber sleeve on them, just lift it with your finger nail to release the pressure. Sounds like you kegged it before it finished fermenting or you used too much priming sugar.

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 pm

I would vent a small amount of pressure now and then keep an eye on it.Once you have drunk the contents,pour a kettle full of boiling water into the keg,leave it for 5-10 minutes then you should be able to manipulate the bottom of the barrel into its correct position!
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

Kirkburton_brewer

Post by Kirkburton_brewer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks for the answers.

I'm fairly certain the brew had finished first fermentation before I kegged, but I must have primed it with too much sugar the second time around. Once I've drunk the brew, I'll certainly try to put the base back in place after covering with boiling water - great tip!

Thanks again.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm

After first fermentation ( a week or so ) its best to have a second fermentation in a second brewing bin. Do not add any sugar just leave it for a week , two weeks or even longer. This method helps to make sure the beer is bright and clear before bottling or keging. there should be enough yeast present for the priming sugar. Also by having a second fermentation most of the dead yeast is removed which can cause off flavors.
When you do keg add your priming sugar approx 4oz. :=P