Batch or Fly? - Quick question

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Batch or Fly? - Quick question

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:04 pm

Well, that's me sold. Just did my first fly sparge using my no Totton pump and it was great! Managed 84% efficiency.

Much easier brew day. :D

Cheers for all your help folks. :wink:

Deebee
Even further under the Table

Post by Deebee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:06 am

I have batch sparged only the once. Efficiency on this instance was poor at around 65 5 and for some reason the brew turned out to be the one and only that has gone down the drain.

The subsequesnt recipies were made with 65% in mind and i went back to jugging the sparge water a litre at a time onto a plastic tray in order to remove channeling risk.

The last 4 brews have had an efficiency of around the 80% mark.. meaning that i have the luxury problem of having to decide whether to make a stronger beer or dilute it a little.

I guess fly sparging in the way i do it takes a lot of time 8 thats why its great to have someone else helping, and you need to keep a runing written total as to how much you have sparged in. I have managed to find all deadspace etc for my system and the last few brews with higher efficiency have actually meant that i have ended up with more wort post boil and pre dilution that anticipated.

I really need to change the settings on beersmith so as to save a few pennies in grain etc based on an actual efficiency percentage.

For me fly sparging is what i will conntine doing. i would advocate that you run off the wort as slow as is possible though, it appears to have a great effect.

good luck
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:39 am

I've only recently started checking my Mash efficiency, so dependant on the accuracy of my Hydrometer and my reading of it, I get up-to 82% with Batch Sparging on a 90 minute mash :)
I'm not going to recalculate anything, and leave the 75% setting in BeerEngine, though in theory I could save a few grams of malt here and there.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:59 am

pdtnc wrote:I get up-to 82% with Batch Sparging on a 90 minute mash :)
I get about the same. Fly sparging is going to be more efficient but not by much. It's biggest advantage is probably that you don't need such a big mash tun and of course it scales a lot easier.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger