Cornie Carbonation

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Alibee

Cornie Carbonation

Post by Alibee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:12 am

Hi Guys,

just got 3 new cornies and a reg board from Norm!

Since I mainly drink bitter the advice I have dug out from the board is
At 12c 5-8psi gives a very lightly conditioned beer, and 10-12psi gives a slight fizz on the tongue without being gassy. 20 psi set and disconnected gives a result similar to 5-8 psi above, maybe slightly less condition
So I will try that. Meanwhile I have 19l of turbocider ready to go into the cornie- what should I do to get a fizzy cider?

I also thought I might try carbonating some water for fizzy drinks for the kids- presumably the same setting.

Cheers

Al

Parva

Re: Cornie Carbonation

Post by Parva » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:51 am

Fizzy water (and cider if you want it very fizzy) I hit with 35PSI for a few days then serve at 10PSI (this is all at room temperature 18c). If the water / cider is refrigerated then you could knock 10PSI off that figure if you wanted. Beer I carbonate at room temperature +5 to give me the PSI so 18c I would carbonate at 23PSI for a few days. This will however give you fizz akin to a bottled beer that you would buy in a supermarket, it's my preferred 'fizz' level. So if I had the beer cooled to 12c then I would be carbonating at 17PSI for a few days. If you only want very low carbonation then I would go with beer temperature = PSI for 3 days then serve at 5-10PSI.

That's the general rules that I use and it should get you in the right ballpark. Regardless, over or under carbonated beer / water / cider can also be remedied, it's more a case of suck it and see. :) Once you've actually given C02 carbonating a go you'll soon find what works best for you.

Alibee

Post by Alibee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks for that guys.

I am going to try running the beer/cider through through a few feet of 3/16" line to manage the flow as the taps Norm is supplying at the moment don't have flow control and the kegs will be sitting at garage temp.

Al

Parva

Post by Parva » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:28 pm

I use about 6ft of 3/16th line on a similar setup and it works well. Better to start longer and cut it down till you get it right.