Flash Chiller Fittings

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
adeybambam

Flash Chiller Fittings

Post by adeybambam » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi All,

I have a flash chiller that I occassionaly use with my beer engine. The beer line I have is the 1/2" food grade hose pipe stuff that works very well. My only problem is that to date if I have needed to use the chiller I have bodged the connections to it by wrapping the inlet and outlet in electrical insulation tape, forcing the pipe over it and jubilee clipping it (!). It works well but the time has come to buy some proper connections.

I know the inlet and outlet are 3/8". Has anyone any ideas about the best way of connecting the pipe I have to the chiller? I'm thinking pushfit but I'm no plumber so am a bit lost.

All help appreciated.

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:46 pm

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adeybambam

A

Post by adeybambam » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm not sure really. My thought is that the fitting will be for 1/2" copper / plastic pipe which will be a lot smaller than the beer line I have which has thick walls. I seem to remember that the outside diameter is something like 17.5mm (the inside diameter being closer to 12.5mm). One thought I had was get a 3/8" to 15mm fitting then force the pipe over a bit of 15mm copper tube. No idea whether it would fit but may be worth a go???

arturobandini
Under the Table

Re: Flash Chiller Fittings

Post by arturobandini » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:33 pm

I use jubilee clips and no insulation tape for exactly the same purpose and wouldn't consider changing. It's a flawless practice if you ask me.
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey