where can i purchase kettle elements

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sexysouthwest

where can i purchase kettle elements

Post by sexysouthwest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 pm

I am after a 2-3kw kettrle element,Was going to get mine for backers but they wont have any till the new year and i was planning on building my HLT and boiler over the festive period, Where else sells these!! Was hoping not to breakdown a new kettle!

farmhousekeg

Re: where can i purchase kettle elements

Post by farmhousekeg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:05 pm

sexysouthwest wrote:I am after a 2-3kw kettrle element,Was going to get mine for backers but they wont have any till the new year and i was planning on building my HLT and boiler over the festive period, Where else sells these!! Was hoping not to breakdown a new kettle!
Breaking down a new kettle will be a LOT cheaper. Search on JBK and you'll find lots of tips and info. Its really easy.

thankyousam

Post by thankyousam » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Get yourself some £5 value Asda/Tesco/Argos (other places probably do the same) kettles and take them to pieces. The elements are between 2kw and 2.2kw. You'll just need to drill the right sized holes in the boiler vessel, reuse the rubber washers and get hold of some 13amp rated kettle leads.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28270

haz66

Post by haz66 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Breaking down a Tesco kettle is childs play, a few screws and a little bit of tweeking,
took me 10 mins last time to breakdown the kettle and have it refixed into my boiler.
And the savings are massive, New Element around £30 Tesco Kettle £4.88 bit of insulation tape £0.01p
Satisfaction PRICELESS :D

sexysouthwest

Post by sexysouthwest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:36 pm

i already have the 40mm q max cutter so really want to get one of these backer elements anyone got any ideas when i can get some more from i need 4.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:04 pm

It is very expensive indeed. Here's a cheapy Tesco / Asda style element for £8.95!

http://www.easyspares.co.uk/product.asp ... 161&p=3221

Chancers.

BrewingAgain

Post by BrewingAgain » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 pm

Crazy, we're supposed to be repairing, reusing and recycling yet the element costs more than a new kettle !

sexysouthwest

Post by sexysouthwest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:25 am

Has anyone used a immersion heater if not why not, Pros and cons. I'm getting desperate

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 pm

sexysouthwest wrote:Has anyone used a immersion heater if not why not, Pros and cons. I'm getting desperate
That's the best solution, use the search function to find lots of info from the many on Jim's who use them.

Kettle elements are getting scarce and soon they will be obsolete or more expensive than they are now, immersion elements are cheap and robust.

I know you can use the cheap kettle ones as mentioned but the quality is questionable, also its criminal that pieces of plastic are being manufactured then shipped halfway across the world just to be smashed up and used as landfill.

Edit I did a quick search and came up with this. I expect there is a lot more :wink:

sexysouthwest

Post by sexysouthwest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 am

i found that hop and grape supply them