Kettle elements: Wildly differing performance

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crowds

Kettle elements: Wildly differing performance

Post by crowds » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:11 pm

When I built my boiler I got myself two Tesco's Cheap kettles. Having used it now a handful of times I have noted that one of the elements does not perform as well as the other. I never presumed they would be evenly matched but it's to such a degree that it's visible to see.
Also when I hit the boil if I switch of the good element it's not enough to keep it at a rolling boil. Kinda wish I had tested the kettle out before barbarising it !

Do you think it still uses the same power as if it was running on all four ?
if so twice the reason to get another one #-o

farmhousekeg

Re: Kettle elements: Wildly differing performance

Post by farmhousekeg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:18 pm

I'd just replace it - dead cheap and you never want to mess with electrics if something doesn't seem right - especially with water!

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 pm

crowds wrote:Do you think it still uses the same power as if it was running on all four ?
if so twice the reason to get another one #-o
No, if it's not heating as well, it won't be using as much power either.

roger the dog

Post by roger the dog » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:47 am

I've got the same issue with the boiler I bought from a HBS. This time of year one of the elements barely keeps the wort boiling whilst the other keeps a reasonable rolling boil.

Giving it a thorough clean after each brew increases it's performance slightly though.

BozBru

Post by BozBru » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:51 am

I have a few spare elements from freecycle that I clean up and simply swap with the soiled ones from the boiler. I have noticed that one of them had a similar issue with not boiling as vigorously as the others. As it was free, I didn't feel too bad when I chucked it away.

crowds

Post by crowds » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Yeah, I think I will pick up another and keep the old one as an emergency spare. Thistime I will try it out before I dismantle it !
If anything it's going to save me time, getting to the boil quicker.