my keg is leaking

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sam c

my keg is leaking

Post by sam c » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 pm

i have just discovered that my keg has tiny hairline cracks around the top of the keg. so no beer lost and it seems to hold a very little amount of pressure but when i went to top it up with gas most of it leaked straight out of one crack. i dont think the other cracks are craked right through the plastic yet, its just the one. it has been out side so im thinking it had some thing to do with the frost.

all i could think to do right now is to put sealant over the craks. now this should stop any air getting in but once i put more gas in it will probably just split straight away.

so what im thinking is get another keg as soon as possible or bottle it.im not really sure what to do.if i get another keg am i going to be ok to transfer the beer from one keg to another? i just had a taste of the beer as there was enough pressure to pull a pint out and it tastes great, so its not infected or any thing like that.i really dont want to loose this beer!! :evil:

grmills

Re: my keg is leaking

Post by grmills » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Try a smear of vasoline, pushed into the cracks. More likely to seal it from the inside but if you're twitchy about infection try it from the outside first.

sam c

Post by sam c » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:12 pm

cheers. the sealant seems to have sealed it for now but it wont take the pressure when its gassed up. i deffinatley need a new keg quick.

do you think it will be ok to rack this beer from this keg to another in about a week if i am very careful?

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:32 pm

sam c wrote:do you think it will be ok to rack this beer from this keg to another in about a week if i am very careful?
Should be fine if you are careful. One idea might be to do it as cool as possible to retain as much CO2 as you can. Also minimise splashing etc to prevent it from oxidising.

I did a similar thing with a Wherry earlier this year after mine cracked at the base. I reprimed (not sure if this is necessary) and let it condition for a few weeks, came out well.

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

sam c

Post by sam c » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:35 pm

thanks david,

good idea about cooloing the beer. i will try to get hold of a new keg asap.

thanks