thermometer for HLT and mash tun

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
BEN_SHADOW

thermometer for HLT and mash tun

Post by BEN_SHADOW » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 am

Hi all,

I have been building my AG kit the last couple of weeks. Boiler is mango chutney with two argos kettles. HLT is mango chutney tub with one kettle. mash tun is cool box.

My question is in regards to monitor the temp of water in HLT and mash tun. Would an aquarium thermometer like this work:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Fish- ... 27adadce43

Or would it not work to the temps required?

Thanks

Ben

Dr. Dextrin

Re: thermometer for HLT and mash tun

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:57 am

If it's like mine (looks the same) it won't go above 70C. So it's no use for the HLT or strike temperature, but it does work OK for monitoring the mash. Another drawback is that it's hard to position the probe in the mash as it's on a floppy wire not a rigid probe. No idea how long they last either. Mine's still going after 4 brews, but I have potted the probe in some food-safe silicone to protect it a bit.

But they are very cheap.

BEN_SHADOW

Post by BEN_SHADOW » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Hey thanks man,

Looks like ill be using one of those for the mash tun then. The problem with the HLT then is that in my setup it is far too high for me to pop a thermometer in with out standing on a chair or something anyway. Anyone know of a thermometer in the same style that can work with the required temps?

Thanks

Ben

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Why do you need a thermometer is your mash tun? If you work out your strike temperatures correctly itll all be correct, and if your mash tun isn’t at the right temp what are you going to do about it once you have pitched your liquor?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:20 pm

How about one of these thermometers it has a 4mm probe so use a 4mm x 1/8"bsp male stud coupling mounted in the side of your tun.
Mitchamitri wrote:Why do you need a thermometer is your mash tun? If you work out your strike temperatures correctly itll all be correct, and if your mash tun isn’t at the right temp what are you going to do about it once you have pitched your liquor?
Surely it's good practice to check the temp of the mash after doughing in? There are calculators that can be used to work out how much boiling/cold water to add so as to achieve the correct temp if you don't hit it first time.

Edit Just reread your post :roll: I should have said why don't you get 2 and fit them to you HLT and tun :wink:

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:01 am

All sounds a bit too much like hard work to me! – I bung the calcs in the laptop, see what comes out, pitch accordingly and just leave it – if its out a bit its out a bit, I can’t see anyone spotting the difference in the final beer if the mash is a degree off where it should be.
Goes to show you can make this hobby as complex or involved as you want – I haven’t even got round to treating my water yet and I know our water is far from ideal!!
I’m equally unscientific on my sparge volumes and temps – I just run water into, then through, the tun until I have an FV full.
I make bloody good beer though!

sib67

Post by sib67 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:07 pm

Mitchamitri wrote:Why do you need a thermometer is your mash tun? If you work out your strike temperatures correctly itll all be correct, and if your mash tun isn’t at the right temp what are you going to do about it once you have pitched your liquor?
I can't see why one wouldn't check, and adjust if necessary, the temperature of the mash.