Budget Kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Wallingbrook

Budget Kegs

Post by Wallingbrook » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi

I have had another budget keg leak from the base weld. This one I can't get replaced because I can't remember where I got it from or how many times I've used it. The first time it happened (same weld) I managed to get a replacement FOC but that happened on the first fill of beer.

I have now lost confidence in the budget kegs. I still have 7 (all full) and checking them every day like a neurotic. I always let excess gas out especially if I see the base bulge out.

So guys could you please tell me what I should go for next and the pros and cons for each. I do not think my budget will extend to the Corny and from what I've read here it sounds complicated.

Your advice and suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: Budget Kegs

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:52 pm

I've got one that's leaking too so I know how you feel. I don't think the King Kegs are much better (if at all) and of course they're significantly more expensive. 20 litre polypins are option. There was a thread about them earlier this year IRC.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Get a better quality second hand keg on ebay.

One of the old Boots ones or a king keg maybe.

Can replace the seals and bits if they're not in great condition.

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Going the cornie keg route is quite expensive initially as you need gas, a gas regulator and a tap but thereafter kegs can be bought for less than the cost of a King Keg and unlike KK's they will last a lifetime. They really are nothing like as complicated to use as they are made out to be on here, think of them as a big pop bottle which you pump gas into to dispense beer out of the tap and you've pretty much nailed it.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:51 pm

This is a route I would very much like to go down, but unfortunately I keep taking up hobbies, allowing the wife to get pets and treating the kids at xmas :-) But one day I shall have enough pennies aside to do this and I doubt very much that I would ever look back

Wallingbrook

Post by Wallingbrook » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks all.

Parva - I think you might have made me change my mind about cornies. Had a look on Ebay and they are quite reasonable. As you say cheaper than a new plastic keg. A home bew shop is selling a recon one with tap for £90. What else would I need and where to I buy the CO2 bottles?

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:13 pm

You would be better off contacting Norm (someone will be along with his email addy). You can probably get a keg with disconnects, piping and tap for around £75 delivered off of him. He also sells the regulator which you will need for a C02 bottle so you could get that at the same time. There's a thread in the 'Bargain Basement' section (I think) that lists where people managed to find a gas supplier, have a look and see if there's one nearby. Failing that then it's a case of grab your Yellow Pages and phone around local gas suppliers. Be sure to tell them you are in the mobile catering business if they ask. Prices seem to vary widely between suppliers with some wanting weekly rental and / or deposit charges so do shop around. Again, have a read of that thread and you'll get an idea what you're looking for.

Wallingbrook

Post by Wallingbrook » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks Parva

So you don't recommend the 16oz bulbs and charger? This would be more convenient for me. Would I still need a pressure gauge? Do I still prime with sugar and if so how much seeing as its smaller than the barrels? Does the same thing still apply that you don't charge with gas until the flow slows?

Sorry for all the questions but you are all so helpful here.

Anyone got Norm's address please?

Thanks again.

Parva

Post by Parva » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:59 pm

The biggest advantage of cornies is that there's no need for secondary carbonation, you simply force carbonate the beer with C02 and are therefore not introducing more sediment into the beer. It is possible to secondary ferment much as you would do with a King Keg or similar if you desire and I would use about the same amount of sugar to do so (regardless of it being a little smaller), cornies are rated to 120PSI (compared to KK's which are rated at 10PSI) so you're never going to have an issue with it going pop. :) 16Gm bulbs will be pretty useless to be honest, it would take probably a dozen or more at least just to dispense the beer, nevermind actually carbonating it too. If you can source yourself a 7Kg C02 bottle it will last for a good 12 months! Mine cost me £10 for the last refill and gets some right hammer (as you can see from the keg list in my signature) and still lasts 12 months. If you're lucky you should be able to source one for a £25 deposit and probably £10-£15 per time refill.

There's also the Hambleton Bard / Sodastream gas options but again these will work out expensive in the long run compared to the pub type gas cylinder. It's a bit of a pain initially getting everything together but believe me it will pay you dividends in no time. Once you have your first keg, gas and tap setup it then becomes relatively inexpensive to add further kegs to your collection. Furthermore the kegs hold their value so if you decide you want to sell up you should recoup what you payed out.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Parva wrote:16Gm bulbs will be pretty useless to be honest, it would take probably a dozen or more at least just to dispense the beer
It actually takes 2 of the bulbs to dispense a 5 gallon corny keg. The 16 gm setup is convenient for when you want to take a keg of your beer to a party and you don't want to carry along a full size CO2 cylinder and regulator. :)

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Parva

Post by Parva » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:10 pm

I don't know how you managed that as I used 5 or 6 just to dispense a 9ltr keg which I had already force carbonated with my pub gas when I took it to a party! :roll:

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 pm

I use budget kegs – only one of which I bought at full price (when I was young and keen) and I have 4 I paid £2 each for at Newton Abbott tip. I put new lids on a couple of them, and new seals throughout and they have all been ok for 3 years bar a drippy tap and one split lid. I also bottle around 50% of my beers and ciders (the stronger, darker ones), the sterilising is a pain but I do like capping open a bottle I filled myself.
Personally, I wouldn’t bother with King Keg, beersphere et al – the next step from a budget keg that actually returns value is I think cornies, which is something I may do when I get round to it.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Parva wrote:I don't know how you managed that as I used 5 or 6 just to dispense a 9ltr keg which I had already force carbonated with my pub gas when I took it to a party! :roll:
Thats a new one on me lad, perhaps you have a leaky CO2 dispenser? I have no issues using (2) 16gm bulbs on 5 gallons. :shock:

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde