mash screen

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sam c

mash screen

Post by sam c » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:29 pm

im thinking about making a mash screen from a plastic plate and was wondering if it needs to be the same size as the bottom of the mash tun or if it is ok for it to be smaller as long as all the wort drains down to that point?

for example if the diameter of the MT was say 40cm and the mash screen was 20cm and all the liquid would drain to the bottom any way because the bottom is domed inwards( if that makes any sense).

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: mash screen

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:44 pm

I have a plate smaller than the bottom of the tun and has served me well....................bigger the better though :wink:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 pm

As long as you put enough holes in, and you're only batch sparging (i.e. not fly sparging), it should be fine.

fen_boy78

Post by fen_boy78 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:32 pm

I'm looking at using the lid of a tub of celebrations. Its plastic, washable and microwaveable and only 4cm smaller than the base of a standard FV. Can't see why it wouldn't work!

Stonechat
Under the Table

Post by Stonechat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:04 pm

fen_boy78 wrote:I'm looking at using the lid of a tub of celebrations. Its plastic, washable and microwaveable and only 4cm smaller than the base of a standard FV. Can't see why it wouldn't work!
Before drilling any holes, try immersing it in water at the same degree of heat as the strike heat of your mash water, to see if it deforms. I have a feeling that it would not be rigid enough to stop grain getting underneath.

fen_boy78

Post by fen_boy78 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:37 pm

good point. Will check when I get a chance. If not i'll see what else i've got in the cupboards that could do the job.

sam c

Post by sam c » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:17 am

cheers for all the replies.

plenty of holes it is then