Heated V unheated Mash tun

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
polymoog

Heated V unheated Mash tun

Post by polymoog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:15 am

I have been brewing again for approx 6 months after a break of 10 years and iam amazed how much this hobby has progressed.
I originally started brewing again to save money but it hasn't worked out that way as i spend enough on kegs and boliers etc to buy a years worth of beer!!!
I am currently using a 5 gallon tea urn as a mash tun (hidden element type) which works well. just set to mash temp and go.
My question is some of you seem to favour the insulated coolbox route. is there a reason for this as all i can see is ... if using lager malt then the temp cannot be easily adjusted from 55 to 66 centigrade for the correct mash. Or does no one on here drink lager? Does the coolbox lose any heat over the 90mins mash?
Many thanks

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Heated V unheated Mash tun

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 am

They are all different. But ideally the shouldn't loose more than a degree or two over 90 mins. In order to get the mash temp spot on, you must take into consideration the temperature of the grains, the weight of the grains and the volume of mash water. What I do is heat my mash water to around 85c then add it to the mash tun. I put the lid on and leave it for around 10 mins while I get other stuff ready. This insulates the mash tun and ensures a steady temperature throughout the mash. When you start adding the grains depends on the temperature of the grains. This is usually when the mash water reaches between 73c-75c. Last night I was aiming for 67c. My grains were 19c which meant that my mash water had to be 75c. I hit my 67c target bang on and it stayed at that for the full 90 mins.

If this all sounds complicated, don't worry... there's a strike temperature calculator that does it all for you!

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html

polymoog

Post by polymoog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:12 pm

So if you wish to make a lager or pilsner type brew would you just use pale malt for the mash and keep it at one temp or use lager malt which needs so much time at 55C then increased to 65C?

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:15 pm

I've never brewed a lager before so can't comment. I wasn't even aware that a lager mash temperature needs to be raised throughout the mash. I only brew ales and stouts. Sure someone else can comment though. :wink:

polymoog

Post by polymoog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Im no expert but lager malt is "poorer" than our English pale malt and needs some "fiddling" (a technical term!) to ensure the starches can be turned to sugar.

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:51 pm

polymoog wrote:
I am currently using a 5 gallon tea urn as a mash tun (hidden element type) which works well. just set to mash temp and go.

Sounds to me that if you are wanting to do a step mash for lagers that you should stick to your tea urn so that you can vary your temp. I find that the Igloo type coolers work best for the infusion mashes.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Excuse my ignorance here but how to ensure an even mash temp' when using a heated mash tun? If the element is at the bottom, and given the density of the mash, how does the heat circulate through the whole mash? Do you have to stir it regularly?

I've only ever used a coolbox to mash and only brewed ales.
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

polymoog

Post by polymoog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:06 pm

My burco mash tun has a false bottom whic holds the grain about an inch above the element and also keeps the tap outlet free.
the grain is in a grain bag tied around the top of the burco and rests on the false bottom(ss plate drilled). every so often i drain a jug full of wort fom the tap and carefully pour it back over the top this keeps it circulated and emlulates some of the grander mash tuns with recirculating pumps i have seen on here.
The thermostat of the burco keeps it with in 1 or 2 degrees and thats it. has always worked for me and is very similar to the bruheat i used to have years ago. :D

speedtripledan

Post by speedtripledan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 pm

I,ve recently started using a brupak type enamel steel boiler as a mash tun and bar 1 brew they have all turned out cloudy. went back to my cool box and that came out perfect. I concluded that because the boiler temp droped it then boiled the goods at the bottom which has some how caused the haze by having an unstable mash temp??? looking for a big igloo cool box to convert if any one knows where to get one ?

Dan

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Not an Igloo but similar (I think?).
10 US gallons (about 8 or so UK) £20 from Camping and General, Canvey Island, Essex. Google it for the web address; sorry can't remember it myself!

Just got mine but haven't used it yet. I think few others have them on here too.
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:35 pm

You will be happy with that Coleman, it works a treat :D

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

xraymtb

Post by xraymtb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 pm

I have two of those Colemans from Camping and General but he wasnt sure if he had any left when I ordered mine.

If he doesnt have any - give me a shout as I only really need one and could be convinced to sell the other.

speedtripledan

Post by speedtripledan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:42 pm

There are none listed on the website, was thinking of spending a few pennys more and getting one of the Coleman 70 QT Xtreme Cool Box. want it for 10gal brews my modifyied wilko coolbox works a treat for 5gal but not big enough for the 10g's

if you were to part with it what would you want and what end of the uk are you ?

Dan

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 am

I built my mash tun from tongue and groove, scrap wood, loft insulation, and hard graft. The vessel inside is a plastic container that will take up to a 12 gallon brew plus space for sparging (it’s a bit too big), plus a copper pipe manifold. If I am honest it probably cost as much to build as converting a large coolbox (do they come big enough?) but theres a nice degree of satisfaction having made it myself.

polymoog

Post by polymoog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:25 am

Any chance of taking a look? (posting a picture) :D im always interested in looking at other peoples equipment as it gives me ideas for my own brewery