What Glue ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
scottmoss

What Glue ?

Post by scottmoss » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:33 am

Hi,

Whats the bext glue to use (not for sniffing!) for putting labels on my bottles without leaving marks and is also easy to come off?

Cheers

crafty john

Re: What Glue ?

Post by crafty john » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 am

Some people use milk to stick their labels on, or if you don't fancy mouldy labels you could use pva glue watered down, it's water soluble.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:12 am

crafty john wrote:Some people use milk to stick their labels on, or if you don't fancy mouldy labels you could use pva glue watered down, it's water soluble.
I've labelled 2000+ bottles with milk and never had a mouldy label. :shock: It's ideal because the labels come off easily when soaked in water 8)

scottmoss

Post by scottmoss » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 am

So what do you do put some milk in a bowl and dip the labels in to it? or do you just rub in on the back of the label??

Cheers

adm

Post by adm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 am

I just put a little milk into a saucer. Then dip a kitchen sponge in it and lightly wipe the back of the label - you only need a little bit - don't soak it.

Then just stick it on the bottle and smooth down with a dry tea towel if needed.

KevP

Post by KevP » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 am

+1 for milk, I apply using a pastry brush, just a light wipe.

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:50 am

wallpaper paste would also be ok and as its got fungaside in it nothing to worry about just make it as thin as poss and a bag will last you a life time or pretty close depending how much you drink

Thirsty Paul

Post by Thirsty Paul » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:57 pm

I find a cheeky bit of Pritt stick (or whatever untrademarked version I can aquire from work)) works for me. Easy to apply and just as easy to get off again.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Milk all the way! Its the best

Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:07 am

Get yourself some Gummed Paper. You can even put the paper through your printer. 8)

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:08 am

Milky milky.

pokerswazi

Post by pokerswazi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 am

milk is the best... always have some around and sticks well. never had a mouldy label ever...

scottmoss

Post by scottmoss » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:36 am

Cheers for all the replies, think Milk is becoming winner winner chicken dinner!

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 pm

crafty john wrote:Some people use milk to stick their labels on, or if you don't fancy mouldy labels you could use pva glue watered down, it's water soluble.
I stand corrected