Another element question

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
andysmok

Another element question

Post by andysmok » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:26 am

I have just recieved my 100L stock pot from Nordic and was originaly going to go for gas, but having thought about it I think electric would be far easyer once i have the holes drilled and elements in.
I currently use a 10 gallon H&G fermenter which i fitted out myself with asda elements. I don't think these asda elements would be very effective with my new 100L bolier.
Can anyone recommend what power ratings would be best and possibly give me a clue of where to pick them up from.

Horatio
Under the Table

Re: Another element question

Post by Horatio » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:41 am

I tried my local plumbing shop (nice if you have one!) and he does the same 11" elements for £15.00 and I have ssen them on ebay for just over a tenner! It's worth shopping around to get the best price. I know a few people on here raised some concerns about these type of elements not being able to boil. They will but you may have to bypass the thermostat and they are generally rated at 3kw, which is a good thing :D .
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

andysmok

Post by andysmok » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:05 pm

After all i have gone for this http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/L ... _Ring.html

Not sure what fuse rating the plug will be :!:

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:29 pm

andysmok wrote:After all i have gone for this http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/L ... _Ring.html

Not sure what fuse rating the plug will be :!:
Not sure... but it looks the part!

I reckon that's got to be the best way to go for vessels of that size. Two 3KW elements would struggle, and 3+ elements of that size make big demands on the supply.

Not a bad price either. :)

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:04 pm

andysmok wrote:I have just recieved my 100L stock pot from Nordic and was originaly going to go for gas, but having thought about it I think electric would be far easyer once i have the holes drilled and elements in.
I currently use a 10 gallon H&G fermenter which i fitted out myself with asda elements. I don't think these asda elements would be very effective with my new 100L bolier.
Can anyone recommend what power ratings would be best and possibly give me a clue of where to pick them up from.

I use two 2.2kw kettle elements in my 100L stockpot, and they work fine. You can even turn one off for most of the boil.
To help prevent heat loss [until I get some proper insulation], I've been wrapping the pot in an old towel, secured with bungies. I also leave the lid half on/half off.