Old Boots budget barrel.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
EoinMag

Old Boots budget barrel.

Post by EoinMag » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi All, I got my hands on an old Boots budget barrel when I was over in the UK the last few days. It's a brown keg, appears to have the same lid as a king keg, but the valve system on it is strange. There is no inside part to the valve if you know what I mean, does anyone know what I could do to sort this out and get it working? It's hard for me to get S30 here in Ireland so I'm not taken with that idea, and I presently have a stock of 8g cartridges for my KKTT and would rather stick with that system for now. Is it just a case of buying a replacement KK lid?
Thanks for any help. It was free so I couldn't pass it up.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Re: Old Boots budget barrel.

Post by Andy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 pm

I got given one of these barrels and I use it for conditioning. The stock lid was knackered so I now use a king keg lid, works great.
Dan!

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:31 pm

EoinMag wrote:Hi All, I got my hands on an old Boots budget barrel when I was over in the UK the last few days. It's a brown keg, appears to have the same lid as a king keg, but the valve system on it is strange. There is no inside part to the valve if you know what I mean, does anyone know what I could do to sort this out and get it working? It's hard for me to get S30 here in Ireland so I'm not taken with that idea, and I presently have a stock of 8g cartridges for my KKTT and would rather stick with that system for now. Is it just a case of buying a replacement KK lid?
Not quite sure which bit you mean. My old brown Boots barrel has two things - a pressure release valve and a hole (still bunged up in my case) which I assume is for an injector.

Is it the pressure release valve? If so then I think it is spring loaded, just been to the garage to try and get a picture but can't get the lid off!

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 am

wmfd wrote:
EoinMag wrote:Hi All, I got my hands on an old Boots budget barrel when I was over in the UK the last few days. It's a brown keg, appears to have the same lid as a king keg, but the valve system on it is strange. There is no inside part to the valve if you know what I mean, does anyone know what I could do to sort this out and get it working? It's hard for me to get S30 here in Ireland so I'm not taken with that idea, and I presently have a stock of 8g cartridges for my KKTT and would rather stick with that system for now. Is it just a case of buying a replacement KK lid?
Not quite sure which bit you mean. My old brown Boots barrel has two things - a pressure release valve and a hole (still bunged up in my case) which I assume is for an injector.

Is it the pressure release valve? If so then I think it is spring loaded, just been to the garage to try and get a picture but can't get the lid off!

David
Well compared to my KK, this has rubber sleeve inside which is the one way valve, I can't see how this works on the boots one as it's just flush with the lid on the inside....

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:36 am

EoinMag wrote: Well compared to my KK, this has rubber sleeve inside which is the one way valve, I can't see how this works on the boots one as it's just flush with the lid on the inside....
Doesn't sound the same, but the it's 6 months since I last had it open.

Will have another go at attacking it this evening because I'm working from a fading memory of what's inside mine. Need to empty it anyway (old kit inside).

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

wmfd wrote:
EoinMag wrote:
Will have another go at attacking it this evening because I'm working from a fading memory of what's inside mine. Need to empty it anyway (old kit inside).

Little tip here, in case you didn't already know it:

Wrap a leather belt round the lid, tighten it and pull on this while holding the barrel in place with your knees. Always works for me when i have a stuck keg lid.

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Didn't get home from work until 9.30, so hoping to get to it tomorrow - particularly if I get a day playing in the snow!

David

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:04 am

wmfd wrote:Didn't get home from work until 9.30, so hoping to get to it tomorrow - particularly if I get a day playing in the snow!

David

No Panic mate, I'm in no hurry to use it, just want to get the part or whatever I need to get it to work ordered. I took pics on the mobile this evening of mine, I'll put them up as soon as I can. I just put on a high alcohol kit and am waiting on it to drop to temp before pitching the yeast.

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:46 pm

After some time wrestling with it, I managed to get the top off (that vaseline I put on to seal seemed to have set solid!)

So here's the inside of mine:

Intact bung in the centre. Assume I could put an S30 valve in here?

Spring for the pressure release top left.

Any good?

David

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi David,

thanks for that, but it's so different from mine as to be absolutely no help in my case :)

Your effort however is much appreciated.

Mine has no pressure relief valve at all and the centre piece looks totally different.

Eoin

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:07 pm

EoinMag wrote:thanks for that, but it's so different from mine as to be absolutely no help in my case :)
No worries, presume they must have gone through different versions then - good luck finding an answer.

David

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:08 pm

It belonged to a mates grandfather and he hasn't brewed in over 20 years, so who knows how old the thing is. It's looking like I'll have to buy a king keg lid to make this thing useful.

grmills

Post by grmills » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Don't rush into buying a King Keg lid without borrowing one first to check they fit. I had a couple of Boots barrel lits which couldn't get a seal on a King Keg, (ended up posting them to someone from this site, otherwise I'd offer one to you).

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 pm

grmills wrote:Don't rush into buying a King Keg lid without borrowing one first to check they fit. I had a couple of Boots barrel lits which couldn't get a seal on a King Keg, (ended up posting them to someone from this site, otherwise I'd offer one to you).
I have a KKTT that I will test it with after Xmas once it's been emptied.

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Looks identical to mine.

I removed the bung and fitted a 8gr CO2 valve in its place. Works perfectly. The S30 valves are the same fitting, so that will work too.