Two year old FV.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
kevthebootboy

Two year old FV.

Post by kevthebootboy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 pm

eh up,

got a quick question, my primary fermenter is coming to the end of its second year of service, its a youngs plasic one, is it likly start causing problems with my brews? il be getting a new one in th newyear anyway but ive had a couple of brews latly with a taste in the background that i just cant quite put my finger on,nothing horrid but somthing there, i thinking mabye could be something to do with it being abit old,
i sterlise by filling it up wit warm water with youngs striliser one tea spoon per gallon and let it soak threw out the brew day and rinse well after.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Two year old FV.

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Mine are getting old too Kev, but seem to be ok................if they are full of scratches that could become an issue...........you haven't been cleaning your knuckle dusters in it have you? :lol:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:30 pm

You can get an infection resident in the plastic if you have scratches in them, with plastic it's kind of inevitable with time.

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 pm

trucker5774 wrote:Mine are getting old too Kev, but seem to be ok................if they are full of scratches that could become an issue...........you haven't been cleaning your knuckle dusters in it have you? :lol:
yeah i beat the living day lights out of the of it until its clean! :lol:

cheers lads, ive always clean it out with the soft sponge, (and give it a little kiss after :wink: ) so i dont think there will be loads of scratches, but non the less ill get a new one, it doesnt taste like infection, as i says not like any off taste ive read about, its almost like kit beer taste, only slightly though...

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:07 am

If you think there's something in there that shouldn't be, give it a good soak and scrub with a warm soda crystal solution, followed by a good rinse and a double strength bleach or steriliser solution - not much will survive that.

I also have had a bit of a problem recently, with a strange background taste to darker beers... I also thought it was a bucket infection, but replacement of the buckets made no difference. I can only describe it as a smoky flavour with a hint of banana, and a very slight sourness... but, strangely, this has never afflicted light beers.

Recently, I have also noticed occasions when there is a distinct smell of chlorine in tap water, so I have finally resorted to the half campden tablet treatment for the water. I don't seem to have had any problems since then, so I'm thinking the smoky may have been phenols, although I haven't tasted the classic TCP taste. I have never had any problems with the tap water before, damn water company have changed something...

One of my buckets is 20+ yrs old, and still going strong...

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm

blimey paul ,20 years old, thats nearly as old as me!

the brews i noticed the tasted in was a bitter and a IPA, i use bottled mineral water so theres no chlorine in here,
just cant get my head round what it is, i desided to brew a realy simple ale , just pale malt and one type of hops, to see where that taste will be more or less noticable, its fermenting now, ill bottle it up next week and leave it be.

cheers mate :mrgreen:

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 pm

[quote="trucker5774"..........you haven't been cleaning your knuckle dusters in it have you? :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: I like that one :lol:
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Stonechat
Under the Table

Post by Stonechat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am

It's more likely that you will get a coating of beer stone at the bottom of the FV walls before scratches will give you problems. Once that has built up it's probably best and cheapest to buy a new one, as the chemicals involved in getting rid of beer stone are as far as I know not available to home brewers and are quite scary.

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:48 am

iv not really heard much about beer stone to be honest, but yeah im going to replace my FV and tubing, i mean, why not, its cheap enough, i supose ill know if its the fv once i get a new one, im going to get a screw on lid type also,

cheers.