Corny equipment check list: Is this all I need ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crowds

Corny equipment check list: Is this all I need ?

Post by crowds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm

So My corny has arrived from norm including the quick disconnects and pipe.
Reading over the recent post by crookedeyeboy Im going to order the same regulator..
This One
and a party tap from norm.
Am I right in thinking that (other than the Co2 bottle) all I would need extra is one of these
to connect the GAS IN pipe to the regulator and then I'm all set ?

crookedeyeboy

Re: Corny equipment check list: Is this all I need ?

Post by crookedeyeboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:46 pm

To coin a phrase 'You're all set!' :D

crowds

Post by crowds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Crowds rubs his hands together gleefully and gives a somewhat manic laugh. Muwhahahah :twisted:

That's great, Thanks crookedeyeboy.
How are you getting on with yours ?
Did you replace the dial or are you managing ok with the existing one ?

nigebeer

Post by nigebeer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi crowds,

I have also just received my first corny from Norm along with the nice chrome tap as recommended by "crookedeyeboy" (thanks crooked).

I am going to order one of the regulators along with the adapter you have itemised, I am finding it very difficult to find a supplier of the co2 in my locality, are you finding the same problem?

BR nigebeer

crowds

Post by crowds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi nigebeer,
I've been quite lucky and found a supplier who is happy to supply Joe public in the same town
I checked about six weeks ago before I informed the missus of what I wanted Santa to bring.
To be honest had I not been so lucky I was willing to travel as from what I understand a bottle can last maybe a year so It wouldn't be a regular inconvenience.
Where abouts are you based ?

djrm

Post by djrm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Greetings,

I started with a party tap from Norm, it has been very useful for testing and cleaning but it is no substitute for a decent tap on a long length of tube for dispensing beer.

The party tap is a bit hit and miss to dispense without frothing, its no better than a plastic barrel tap really where if there is a lot of pressure only a very slow flow of beer can be had without loads of froth.

I soon switched to a flow control Dalex tap from Harmony Hut on 2 meters of 3/8 inch tube, I'm planning to switch to 3/16" tubing to reduce the outlet pressure a bit more.

Part of my original frothing problem may have been due to inexperience and over gassing the Corny kegs.

hth David.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:17 am

Just waiting for my 9th AG to finish up fermenting and then the corny will be christened! Just need to get the right spanner (22mm?) to remove the valves for a thorough cleaning.

djrm

Post by djrm » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:30 am

Hi crookedeyeboy,

22mm is the correct spanner size but note that if you have the 'crinkly' gas in posts then you will need a 22mm 12 face ring spanner to fit, an open 22 mm flat spanner will not fit these posts.

hth David.

crowds

Post by crowds » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:31 am

Yeah I noticed mine had a sweet smell to it. Wasnt sure if it was pop ! But it's gonna need a good clean.

I do plan on getting a decent tap but a party tap was the cheapest (and therefore quickest) way of getting of the ground.
Im a bit nervous about getting the gas levels right so ill no doubt be back here posting questions and gas levels preety soon :wink:

Edit: Mind you I have just looked and the taps you mention are not that much more expensive !

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:44 am

A 7Kg bottle should last 12 months, I hammered mine and got 12 months out of it and you can see that I'm not talking one or two kegs here if you look at my sig. :)

Carbonating and serving each have their own issues / solutions and both tend to rely on each other. There is a mountain of advice on the best setting for carbonation and the best line length / diameter to get the perfect pour and then there's temperature which plays a huge part in the overall product.

My advice would be to set PSI at +5c ambient temperature of the beer for two days then just store until ready to use and serve at 8-15PSI. Assuming the beer is 15c then hit it with 20PSI for two days and you can then forget it until needed and it should be good to go when you do.

I'll probably get shot down for something I've not got quite right with the simplest of guides but the truth is that you have to experiment for yourself and you'll soon understand exactly how it all works. You can sit and read guides and advice for weeks on end and each one will make actually using kegs feel even more complicated. Just have a go. :)

nigebeer

Post by nigebeer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:21 am

Hi crowds,

Thanks for the supplier contact details, I will give them a ring, I live near Lincoln and I don't mind popping over to Chesterfield/Sheffield to collect.

I will let you know how things turn out.

BR nigebeer

crowds

Post by crowds » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks for the advice Parva. It's a starting point that I can experiment with from.

Nigebeer, Chesterfield isn't too far away from Lincoln so it's certainly doable if you can't find anywhere nearer.
As Parva says it's certainly gonna last if your like me and just have the one keg :)

Try these guys at Newark to see if they will supply you.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:47 pm

nigebeer wrote:Hi crowds,

Thanks for the supplier contact details, I will give them a ring, I live near Lincoln and I don't mind popping over to Chesterfield/Sheffield to collect.

I will let you know how things turn out.

BR nigebeer
If your only in Lincoln how about Jackson Keay in Nottingham. This is where I got mine from.

Link

nigebeer

Post by nigebeer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks Crooked and crowds,

I will go to jackson keay in Nottingham for the c02 they seem to be the cheapest by far.
The supplier in Newark wanted £50.00 to purchase the cylinder and then £50.00 every refill :roll:

Corny Kegs:-
What will you be cleaning and sanitising your kegs with, as I understand that Chrorine based chemicals can start to corrode Stainless Steel?

BR nigebeer

crowds

Post by crowds » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:20 pm

nigebeer wrote: The supplier in Newark wanted £50.00 to purchase the cylinder and then £50.00 every refill :roll:
:shock: WTF ?!
I think it will cost me about 8 quid !

First of four youtube Vids dealing with cleaning and kegging. Very informative.
I don't no where or if we can get oxyclean in the UK but I bet there is something similar.