Incubation....

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crookedeyeboy

Incubation....

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 am

Unbeknownst to me my living room temp has dropped to a lovely 13.5C whilst I was away this weekend and I have now come to the conclusion I have finally been hit by the issue of fermenting temp.
I dont normally have to bother as the lounge is a nice consistent temp but obviously that is not the case, has anyone got any suggestions on maybe an old fridge and heater or something else I could do? Im not convinced by the heating belt as Ive tried one...

Thanks

jubby
Under the Table

Re: Incubation....

Post by jubby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 am

I think the best bet is an old larder fridge (without the ice box) with a TC10 or if you need reading glasses like me, then an ATC800+ with that lovely big temp display :D . You will also need a heater. I use a 12" tube heater. I guess it costs about £60 for all the stuff including bits and pieces, but excluding a fridge. You can sometimes pick these up free, it depends on how much of a rush you are in. There are loads of posts here on building one of these. If you want to be able to make consistent beers (summer or winter) especially the beers with liquid yeasts, then one of these is a must have.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:09 am

About 12 months ago, as a teporary fix, I used a large cardboard box (1m cube) with a 40W bulb. It regulated itself to within 1degree of 20C............still using it :oops:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info. Where can I get the heater and fridge etc? May have a look through the local paper for a fridge, I take it you are only after its insulating properties?
Is the heater Thermostatically controlled?

BrewingAgain

Post by BrewingAgain » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Couldn't you just use an aquarium type immersion heater and put your fermentor in a box or wrap it up ? That should be fine for this time of year. In our long, hot Summers you may have to think about cooling your wort to the desired temperature or not brewing during the Summer months. Do lots of brews in the cooler months and get plenty of stock in for the Summer !

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:36 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:Thanks for the info. Where can I get the heater and fridge etc? May have a look through the local paper for a fridge, I take it you are only after its insulating properties?
Is the heater Thermostatically controlled?
Heater from amazon or just search tube heater, here's one: http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Thermotube-T ... 16969.html
Fridge from freecycle if you have the patience. JabbA managed to get two from there =D>
The fridge offers cooling and insulation. If you are only brewing in the winter, then you probably only want heating, in which case any insulated cabinet will do. If you want to brew in the summer, then a fridge is best. The temp. controllers control heating and cooling to maintain the selected temp.
Heres one of many posts on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26719&p=291487&hili ... ge#p291487
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Prozac

Post by Prozac » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:15 pm

I brew PERFECTLY happily all year round in my unheated garage with a £15 50w submersible fishtank heater .... I use a sleeping bag to keep it warm.
It's effort less. Set it to 20c put it in , turn it on, and wrap it up.
Fish are quite susceptible to temperature changes so these thermostatic heater are pretty good and very reliable.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 pm

Ah but a fridge-heater-temp controller is more flexible. You can cool/chill to assist clearing in secondary or to prevent chill haze.

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 am

As that jolly good fellow Jubby said, I was quick/lucky enough to spot two larder fridges on Freecycle and have just taken delivery of a TC-10. I'm planning on getting a lager on the go over the festive period and using one fridge (which can take an FV) to ferment in and the other (which gets closer to 0ºC and can only just fit two cornies in) to lager in when kegged; or I'll probably just stick a corny in the shed with the weather as it is :)

[Slight hi-jack]
As i'm yet to sort out an electricity supply to the shed I'm going to be using the fridges under the stairs and so won't need any form of heating. When the fridges do find themselves out in the shed would this 45W heater from my local supplier do the trick? Just that they don't do a 1ft long / 60W which seems to be the preferred option round these parts!

Cheers,
Jamie

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:02 am

I use a 25w heater in a 2 cornie larder fridge and it's easily up to the job so that will be fine :wink:

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:47 am

Nice one, cheers Scooby!

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 pm

A temperature controlled fridge would be great, but if you haven't got that kind of cash at the moment, you can convert your FV for under a tenner:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27682

Works great for me, and you only need the cooling aspect of the fridge if the temperature goes above 20c (ish), and i can't see that happening for some time!