pressurisation query

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Thirsty Paul

pressurisation query

Post by Thirsty Paul » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:26 pm

I’m after your thoughts on this one guys. For the last 8 months I’ve been dispensing my beer from beerspheres stored outside (in a covered wooden box) to keep cool via a remote tap in the kitchen pressurised from the mighty midget widget. That’s worked fine until the last barrel. I put an extract mild on just as the temperature outside started to drop, the first pint came out fine and then the pressure just dried up, no matter what I did it wouldn’t hold pressure so I’ve changed the barrel cap for what I know is a good one plus new seals and leak tested it with washing up liquid and water mix (no leaks). However as the temp drops further and further it still won’t hold pressure or appears not too. So the question at the end of this essay is, 1) what’s going on, 2) is this just down to the temp drop allowing the beer to hold more co2, so its dissolving as soon as I add it or 3) is there a leak I cant find or is the cold allowing the seals to contract thus allowing the gas out?
Any thought’s would be welcome as without the mild, I may be too lashed up to cook the Xmas turkey as the next option is a Triple, and at 7% that may not be ideal to start drinking when the turkey goes in.
Many thanks and happy Xmas, Thirsty paul

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: pressurisation query

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:50 pm

It may just be the cold. Personally I find mild tastes better at around room temperature.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:23 pm

As the temp drops more Co2 goes into solution so you lose head pressure, at the temps outside now you don't have enough pressure to dispense. What I'd do is leave the pressure as normal but increase just to dispense, do that into some large pet bottles or whatever the amount you are going to drink then warm them up inside, the Co2 will then come out of solution and you'll have beer correctly carbonated beer at the right temp.

Thirsty Paul

Post by Thirsty Paul » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Nice one guys, many thanks for the quick replies, I fully agree with you OSB that mild's better at room temp, however I really can't be bothered to fiddle with the set up that I'm using and that's worked really well up till now just to suit our STUPID WEATHER. I'm sure that it will warm up eventually and we will be back to buisness as usual. Roll on the summer!