Sealing a kettle element on a SS boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MARMITE

Sealing a kettle element on a SS boiler

Post by MARMITE » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:51 pm

I seem to recall seeing a post on the above topic recently but can't seem to find it. Was I dreaming or too much of the old elixir?

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Re: Sealing a kettle element on a SS boiler

Post by Jolum » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi Marmite, I had the same problem. Ended up using both the red rubber gromit that comes with the Asda value kettles and a rubber o-ring on the outside - if that makes any sense. Also, contrary to what you might hear, the recommended 40mm hole I think probably applies to plastic bins because it's way to big for an SS pot. I used a 1.1/2" Q-Max cutter...perfect size (that's around 38mm) :)
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:10 pm

This is something I am concerned about too. I intend converting some SS pots to kettles and wondered if the curve of the pot will make it harder to get a good seal? Plastic will flex a fair amount but I have never tried SS.

I don't understand how a 40mm hole turns out bigger on SS though? Is it due to the lack of flex on the SS? :?
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:22 pm

Horatio wrote:I don't understand how a 40mm hole turns out bigger on SS though? Is it due to the lack of flex on the SS? :?
Probably, all I know is that before cutting the hole in my SS pot I tried a 40mm Q-Max cutter in some spare SS I sourced and the element rattled around in the hole. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my cutter or my use of it, if so, fair enough. All I'm saying is beware. I very nearly used the 40mm and would have ended up botching the job up with washers and what not just to make up the difference in size. But don't take my word for it, try it on some spare SS if you've got some lying around.
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

MARMITE

Post by MARMITE » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:07 am

I bought a tube of Fernox Ls-x yesterday which is a joiting compound and external leak sealer obtainable from any plumbers merchant.I checked with their technical help line who said it was fine for boiling temperatures and posed no health risks.Then to Dunelms to try to get some material to make silicon washers.They had some silicon sheet used for baking but it was far too thin and they had some silicon trivets which were of ideal thickness but had bobbles on so not flat.The assistant told me that flat trivet mats were available but did not know where they could be obtained.Any ideas?.the one problem with the Fernox is that it takes 12 hours or so to go off. i'm now wondering if the elements could stay in situ to be cleaned.I don't know whether the citric will attack the SS and if there is a risk whether that could be minimized by limiting contact time or by using a plastic sheet to keep as much of the citric off the SS as possible. Again any ideas?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:36 pm

I've used this Silicon sheet to make gaskets. Unlike some it's smooth both sides.

If you are using 'proper' elements then these Bearing lock nuts ensure a safe leak free seal.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 pm

silicone baking sheet and a 38mm Q-max cutter...
a couple of handy tips there :) cheers

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:16 pm

BTW citric acid is safe to use in a stainless vessel but I would be reluctant to seal the element (semi) permanently.

MARMITE

Post by MARMITE » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks for the replies lads.What do you suggest I use to cut the washers out of the baking sheet with? Question for Scooby Why do you say you are relutant to fix the element semi permanently? The Fernox never sets hard and the joint can be disassembled at any time.When I am using plastic I always assemble the element and test it out with cold water as sometimes the first seal does not work presumably because of a bit of grit.The problem with the Fernox is that it takes 12 hours to cure so I would need to assemble the joint 24 hours before brewing if I wanted to test it out and have time for a second try?

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:31 pm

How about hight temperature silicon sealer either Soudal Silirub HT-A or Trade Mate Flue Silicone will do.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:06 pm

In my experience Fernox LS or the Wickes equivalent seem to go off enough in about half an hour...

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:18 pm

MARMITE wrote: Question for Scooby Why do you say you are relutant to fix the element semi permanently? The Fernox never sets hard and the joint can be disassembled at any time.
Sorry, I missed this one.

I wasn't aware of the properties of the Fernox product but I tend to keep clear of squirty sealers and the like as they shout out bodge. The problem with most of them and the answer to your question is here:

"The problem with the Fernox is that it takes 12 hours to cure so I would need to assemble the joint 24 hours before brewing if I wanted to test it out and have time for a second try?"